Ole Entertainment: 6 New Year’s Eve Celebrations to Put on Your Bucket List

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St Olaf chapter.

Hey Oles! It may still be a week until Christmas, but we’re already looking ahead to the New Year’s. Whether you’re ringing in the New Year on the couch watching the ball drop on TV or spending it in some exotic location, this is one of the biggest nights of the year for people around the world. Here are some of the largest celebrations across the globe – add these to your bucket list! 

Times Square, New York

New Year’s Eve in Times Square has become something of a cultural phenomenon, with millions of people pouring in from around the country to get a chance to see some of music’s biggest acts and participate in one of the largest events of the year. Taylor Swift is set to perform right before the ball drops – who wouldn’t love to ring in the New Year by shimmying to “Shake It Off” in Times Square?

Dubai

The fireworks display in 2014 broke the Guinness World Record for largest pyrotechnics show, so we can only imagine what’s in store for this year’s exhibition! Imagine standing among some of the tallest buildings in the world as fireworks light up the sky.

Sydney

Sydney is known for having one of the world’s best fireworks displays on New Year’s Eve, hosting a spectacular show over the Sydney Opera House and the Harbor Bridge. Another benefit is the weather – no winter coats needed when celebrating here!

London

With plenty of clubs hosting musical talent as well as parties to attend, London has lots of opportunities for things to do and places to go. It also boasts an impressive fireworks display, with Big Ben and the London Eye as a backdrop.

Rio De Janeiro

Rio holds one of the largest New Year’s celebrations in the world- each year, people flock to Copacabana Beach for the “Revellion” fireworks show. Last year, 2 million people were in attendance.

Egypt

If you’re looking for a crazy concert experience, head on over to the pyramids! Each New Year’s Eve, popular musicians play in front of the pyramids from sunset to sunrise.

cover photo, times square, dubai, sydney, london, rio, egypt

Lindsey Tucker is a freshman at St. Olaf College, and is the writer for the Ole Entertainment Blog. When she's not scoping out new music tracks or browsing Netflix for the next show to watch, she enjoys playing accordion with The Runestones, whipping up tasty drinks in The Cage and attending the occasional concert.