Ole Entertainment: 6 Great Books Written By Women

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St Olaf chapter.

Hey Oles! Did you know that March is Women’s History Month? Celebrate by picking up one of these critically acclaimed novels written by fabulous female authors! Grab one (or all!) of them before you head off on Spring Break and enjoy a week soaking in the words of these inspirational women.

To Kill A Mockingbird (Harper Lee)

A beloved classic for many, Lee’s novel deals with racial injustice in America and the loss of innocence as a black man is accused of raping a young white woman and put on trial. Stay tuned for the sequel, Go Set a Watchmen, coming out this summer!

The Bell Jar (Sylvia Plath)

As a semi-autobiographical novel, The Bell Jar offers incredible insight into mental illness and how the societal pressure to become a housewife limits the ability of women to form their own identities.

Gone Girl (Gillian Flynn)

Recently adapted into a Hollywood blockbuster, Flynn spins a deathly intricate mystery surrounding the disappearance of Amy Dunn, her suspiciously unemotional husband Nick and a scavenger hunt revealing clues about their troubled marriage.

Harry Potter (J.K. Rowling)

No list of influential female authors would be complete without J.K. Rowling! The Harry Potter series, revolving around a young boy who learns that he is a wizard, has become a staple in the bookshelves of children and kept Muggles everywhere hoping that an owl will show up with their acceptance letter to Hogwarts.

The Handmaid’s Tale (Margaret Atwood)

In this dystopian novel, Atwood explores how women gain agency in a society in which a totalitarian Christian theocracy has overthrown the government and taken away women’s rights.

Bossypants (Tina Fey)

A light-hearted alternative to some of the heavier reading on this list, Tina Fey tells her life story in Bossypants, from her nerdy youth to pursuing her dreams on Saturday Night Live. She doesn’t shy around the truth and offers a fresh perspective on being a powerful woman in the entertainment industry.

cover photo, mockingbird, bell jar, gone girl, harry potter, handmaid, bossypants

Lindsey Tucker is a freshman at St. Olaf College, and is the writer for the Ole Entertainment Blog. When she's not scoping out new music tracks or browsing Netflix for the next show to watch, she enjoys playing accordion with The Runestones, whipping up tasty drinks in The Cage and attending the occasional concert.