This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St Olaf chapter.

We are very lucky to be living in a time where strong women are celebrated and respected. Some of my role models include Hillary Clinton, Michelle Obama, Emma Watson, Constance Wu, Serena Williams and Gloria Steinem. It is women like these who have inspired many girls and young women to pursue their dreams, to not take “no” for an answer, and to shatter stereotypes (you throw like a girl). 

Despite the presence of these amazing role models, in the recent months, it feels like all the progress we have made towards gender equality is being unraveled. According to the Department of Labor more women have college degrees than men. In the world we live in, women represent 56.7% of the workforce. And yet, across all job sectors, on average, women earn 78¢ for every dollar a man earns. 

It is 2017 and women of all shapes and sizes still deal with sexist words, remarks, and actions. That we are still called cutesy nicknames by our male bosses (let me help you with that sweetie), that we are constantly being judged for our looks (she was asking for it), that men still feel comfortable cat-calling, that a woman must make a choice between raising a family and pursuing a career. A few years ago, one of my friends was told by a classmate that she couldn’t be President because she is a woman. 

Well, I want you to always remember that you can do anything you put your mind to. There is nothing you can’t do, no barrier you can’t break. At the 2014 Gloria Awards and Gala, Amy Schumer told the crowd, “I am a woman with thoughts and questions and shit to say. I say if I’m beautiful. I say if I’m strong. You will not determine my story- I will.” So ladies, don’t let anyone write your story for you and never settle for anything less than you deserve” (5). 

Image Sources: Thumbnail, NeverthelessShePersisted, RoleModels