sharon mccutcheon Ru 7if4siHA unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
sharon mccutcheon Ru 7if4siHA unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Mm Ya Ya: Long Distance Relationships

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St Olaf chapter.

As the semester is coming to a close, I have been reflecting on something that many St. Olaf students may face: Long-distance relationships. Whether it is because of summer, opportunities abroad, or even graduation, they happen to many college students. They can be hard, but they can also be very rewarding. Sure, you have to weigh the pros and cons first, and it can seem scary because being in a LDR screams, “commitment!” However, don’t let it scare you! Here are some of my tips for surviving a long-distance relationship.

Be Realistic

Admit to each other that things may or may not work out, and there will be times that are difficult. Take action by setting up plans for these times, and be honest with one another.

Make Contact Often

Some people say LDR couples should talk on the phone everyday, but let’s be honest, that is kind of unrealistic and may even become stressful. Today, there are so many options available for communication: Facebook, E-mail, FaceTime, even SnapChat. Try to communicate some way everyday. Sending an article of interest or a silly photo might just make your significant other’s day.

Keep Reminders of Each Other

This sounds super corny, I know, but it is nice to keep of your favorite photo of the two of you around somewhere you’ll see it often. Sometimes it is enough to get you through a tough day or just remind you of what a wonderful person you will return to soon.

Spend Time with Friends

Without having to balance a relationship immediate in front of you, there is so much more time for creating and maintaining friendships. Plus, it can take your mind of things when you are out with your pals.

Remember the Pros

There are so many upsides to LDR’s if you think about it! The times that you do spend together are so amazing and almost like a vacation; you have the opportunity to send each other surprises in the mail; and you have the chance to strengthen communication skills.

Cover, RealisticContactRemindersFriends, Pros