Kailee’s Tunes: What your genre says about you

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St Olaf chapter.

Whether you are an individual that says you like all genres of music or are super particular about what you choose to listen to, there is typically one or two genres that your favorite music fits in. The consequences of associating with a certain genre include being labeled or put in a stereotype for enjoying that certain music. So what does your genre say about you?

Rap: Elinor Holm ’16, St. Olaf student, lover of pop and rock from the 70’s and 80’s said about rap music, “Rap is just someone talking fast into a mike, and there isn’t much talent involved, so people that like the rap genre probably don’t play many instruments themselves.” Holm’s statement is just an opinion but it is a prevalent one about rap artists and the rap genre. Other stereotypes of “rap lovers” may be that they are mainly males, are teenagers or young adults, and live in the city. This does not mean everyone that listens to rap fits into these stereotypes but rather it just means that society generally thinks of the rap genre in that way.

Country: Another music genre which is stereotyped often is country music. People that listen to country are usually depicted as “hicks” or “rednecks”, probably owning a pick-up truck, and working on a farm. It may be an awful way to typecast people but it generates from many country songs being about these very things. Another Ole, Lisa Swanson ’16, who listens to pretty much anything stated, “More girls probably listen to country than guys do because it can be pretty romantic. I like when guys listen to country because it usually means they are more relaxed and are laid back about their music choices instead of those people who listen to ‘alternative upside down music’.”

Alternative: Speaking of “alternative upside down music”, a new social group sweeping the country, called hipsters, have their own type of music that further stereotypes the hipster nation. A hipster is known for liking certain clothes, food, music, and activities before they become popular. So music that hipsters like is never mainstream, or at least at the time that they enjoy it. Hipsters could be typecast as eccentric, being outsiders, always digging for new music/clothes/styles, and trying too hard to be different.

Classical: Another not so popular genre is classical music. As Ole John Dunne ’16 so eloquently put it, “Classical music is often characterized as being hind-bound, overly constrained by tradition, and lacking in public appeal. However, I believe that the universal nature of classical music allows for the emotion and power within the piece to be expressed without the constraints of language and culture.” Generally, classical music is thought to be for classy, slightly pretentious, but also quite deep individuals.

Music expresses who we are in ways that can’t be put into words. Not everyone enjoys the same music because everyone thinks differently and interprets music in different ways. Be aware of how the genre you listen to is viewed and stereotyped in society, but don’t be ashamed by it or change your music taste because of the way you want others to see you. People will judge you no matter what, it’s human nature, so enjoy the music that makes you happy and be proud of its roles in society.

Bri attends St. Olaf College in Northfield, Minnesota and is majoring in Psychology with concentrations in Media Studies and Women's Studies. She is most passionate about writing, traveling, cooking, hand-written letters and cheering on the Minnesota Vikings and Wisconsin Badgers. In her free time, she enjoys running, photography, attempting to blog and spending time with her amazing family and friends. She is currently an Arts & Entertainment Editor for the St. Olaf College newspaper with the lovely Lucy Casale and aspires to further explore the field of journalism after graduation.