How Much do We Enjoy TV Reunions?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St Olaf chapter.

This year, social media has been buzzing with news of TV show reunions. But will they always be as great as we hope them to be?

There are several reunions I have in mind – some that have aired and some that are set to happen.

(no spoilers)

Fuller House

Season One of Fuller House is currently on Netflix, and people are loving it. I have watched the first few episodes and have to say, it’s everything I hoped for. A main problem with reunions deals with getting all of the original cast together. In this series, viewers are pleased to see everyone back under one roof, with respect to the Olsen Twins, Mary-Kate and Ashley. However, this was somewhat compensated for in the first episode of the new series, in which the whole cast throws some major shade at the twins (but it made their absence totally worth it). I have really enjoyed this reunion because it shows the characters’ lives years later. They also make jokes about their past, which makes us happy to be apart of because they are referring back to specific episodes we remember from the original series.

(you got it, dude)

Friends

Social media could not contain themselves when it was announced that the Friends cast would be reuniting. But, again, one cast member failed us. Chandler Bing, why? Luckily he did appear via video chat. To my dismay, this reunion was only an interview, not a special episode like I think a lot of us were hoping for. But it’s still exciting to see most of these friends in the same room again so many years later.

(waiting for a real reunion like…)

Gilmore Girls

This is another reunion season that is in the works. Most of the original cast is scheduled to reappear – with exception to a few (of course). I am slightly nervous for this reunion because there were so many relationships created in the original series and I feel not all viewers will be happy with where we see certain relationships today.

(of COURSE the one guy most viewers didn’t like is returning)

High School Musical (4?)

YES, THIS IS HAPPENING. But…. wait, what? It doesn’t include the original cast? Then… what’s the point? Why even include a 4 after this legendary film name if it doesn’t seem to be at all related to the original? I’m sorry Disney, but you just cannot do this.

(all HSM fans right now)

One final reunion I have in mind does not deal with television shows, but it does give us life, hope, and joy, which I think we need among all this reunion uncertainty.

(Proof that after 20+ years, some of thsoe relationships we adore on screen are still stronger than ever in real life. <3)

I don’t think viewers will ever be completely satisfied with a cast reunion. We can just rejoice in the fact that these actors all still care about what they created for us years ago.

xoxo,

Bridget

cover photo, fuller house , friends, gilmore girls , high school musical