This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St Olaf chapter.

Do you adopt a feeling of nervous dread paired with excitement when Thanksgiving comes around and you wonder how you will handle the plethora of mashed potatoes, stuffing, gravy, and pie at your disposal? Thanksgiving is one of those rare days each year in which you have an excuse to eat like a Neanderthal and not be judged. Not be judged by your friends and family, that is. Many of us approach this day excited to stuff ourselves but then leave filled with a sense of regret, disappointment, and hopelessness towards ourselves and all of our goals. However, you are entirely capable of avoiding these troubles with a few simple tricks to make your life easier on this day that should really just be about enjoying time with family and friends.

Eat a healthy breakfast: And by healthy I mean large enough so that you will not be ravenous later in the day. Fill up on protein, healthy fats (avocado, peanut butter), and whole grains or fruit to tide you over and stave off a mashed potato binge later on. One of the worst things you can do is to skip breakfast and lunch the day of Thanksgiving; it will almost always result in you stuffing yourself the minute you see the all-you-can-eat buffet.

Do a turkey trot: Many towns have annual races the day of Thanksgiving which can be a great way to get active in the morning before the feast begins. Ask a family member to do it with you–even if it’s just a 4 mile walk/jog, make it fun and get the blood flowing! Use it as a time to catch up with a loved one you may not have seen in awhile.

Approach it like any other meal: Try to forget the Thanksgiving hype and how we have been trained to think we must stuff ourselves on Thanksgiving. The truth is, it comes around every year so it is not your one time chance to taste all of the pies. Try to create a well balanced plate as you would any other meal: fill up half your plate with veggies, toss on some turkey to make up ¼ of the plate, and just add a scoop of mashed potatoes or stuffing for taste. Try to avoid going back up for seconds–that is where fullness becomes discomfort. Choose if you will indulge in appetizers, drinks, or pie and try to stick with one serving of whatever you choose.

Offer to cook: If your family does Thanksgiving potluck-style and you are nervous about finding healthy options, offer to bring a vegetable dish. That way, you can be sure there is something for you to enjoy without completely derailing your diet.

Above all, before obsessing over food interferes with your family time, remember what Julia Child once said, “Life itself is the proper binge.”