Geisha and the Illusion of Female Empowerment

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St Olaf chapter.

They represented the embodiment of beauty, grace, and elegance. Donning long, colorful kimonos, wearing powder as white as snow on their face, lips as red as cherries, and their long black hair styled into elaborate buns; these women were to represent the highest standard of Japanese beauty. Along with their beauty, they were also objects of desire and mystique. The world of the geisha wasn’t one that many had access to. When broken into its kanji form (芸者), the term geisha literally means “art person.” Commonly mistaken as being courtesans, in reality, geisha were entertainers and artists. 

For my class, Asian Conversations, we will be learning about Japan’s geishas. Over the weekend, I had the rare treat of watching a movie that I not only love, but one I can also say boosts my productivity. Based off Arthur Golden’s 1997 novel, the film Memoirs of a Geisha follows the story of a young girl named Sayuri and her path to becoming a geisha. While I don’t want to give away too much of the film, the movie, in the simplest terms possible, along with showing how Sayuri grew up, also gives viewers a glimpse into the mysterious world of geishas. 

During the movie, I found it interesting that even though the world of geishas is structured around women, at the same time, it really isn’t. Some skills geisha are taught include how to conduct light and charming conversations, interact with guests, dance, play musical instruments, and serve tea. In the movie, as a geisha, Sayuri wore these beautiful kimonos, and go out to parties and engagements. On the surface, it seems that this world is one that revolves around women. 

However, for me, it is the exact opposite. Yes, this environment does seem to cater to women a lot more than other environments. Yet it depends on the happiness of men. In Memoirs of a Geisha, all the skills Sayuri learns are for the pleasure of men. Even her success and future depends on how men perceive her. Throughout, the movie, I found this idea extremely interesting because even today, sometimes, it still feels like the world of women is dependent on the approval of men.

Photo by Kate Nevens

Yes, I completely understand that Memoirs of a Geisha is a product of Hollywood. Even the director, Rob Marshall admitted that he was more focused on capturing the general mood of the time, pre- and post-WWII Japan, than on historical accuracy. However, I still feel like the illusions of female empowerment are true. It seems that the world of geishas isn’t that different from the world we live in now. Geisha existed to please the eyes of men. Today, industries such as the beauty and fashion industry, that mostly cater to the needs of women, are still dependent on a beauty standard created by men. And most of the time, women are the ones stuck chasing this impossible image. 

I believe it is a paradox of some sort that a world seemingly devoted to women and their empowerment is actually controlled by the desires of men. Even though we are no longer living in a WWII timeframe, this mystery still exists. Women with stories similar to Sayuri’s didn’t have much of a choice. However, for women today, there are more options and resources available. So, to all my ladies out there, I want you to know that you don’t need a man to achieve your goals. Are they great to have around? Sure they are. However, they are not necessary and their approval shouldn’t be what you need to go out there and light to world on fire. 

——- 

Information Source: Missouri Botanical Gardens; Image from flickr.com via Kate Nevens 

Gray Reynolds

St Olaf '18