Ask Miss Manitou: Valentine’s Day Made Easy (Allegedly not an oxymoron)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St Olaf chapter.

Happy almost-Valentine’s Day! After all, it is just around the corner.

For some, this is a day filled with excitement and love! For others, it is a pain in the…well, you get the picture. A word of advise to both groups: try and be considerate of other people’s feelings! If you have a guy, great! Just don’t rub in the single ladies’ faces. And to all you single ladies, even if you hate the color red/pink, flowers, chocolate, love, etc., don’t make the day a chance to rain on some couple’s parade. At the end of the day, it’s all about love, isn’t it?

The following are a few fun date-night ideas for couples, but they can go either way. Don’t have a Valentine’s Day date? Go grab your girlfriends and try these out too! (Slight adjustments may be necessary, such as no mood music or lighting if you try number 2…)

1. Go ice skating at Centennial Lakes in Edina, MN. It’s about a 45 minute drive, but totally worth it. You can rent skates for $5 and later get some hot cocoa to drink while sitting next to the fire. It’s super romantic and nearby a ton of great places to continue your evening, like the Cheesecake Factory and AMC Movie Theaters.

2. Cook each other a meal and serve it to one another. Make your dorm room your own private restaurant (don’t forget to ask your roommate for permission!). Place a blanket on the floor or use a small table to put your food on. Dress up, dim the lights, and play your favorite songs! And don’t forget to make dessert!

3. Visit the Mall of America! If you are the gift-giving type (and don’t want another pink stuffed animal this year), you and your date can each pick out what you want and then buy it for each other! Besides poking around in stores, there should be plenty else to keep you busy. With lots of restaurants to choose from, a theme park to visit, an aquarium on the first floor, and a movie theatre on the top floor, you and your date can spend the whole day! (After classes of course.)

4. Make reservations at a spa – for both of you. Why not get pampered for all your hard work here during the week?

5. Try something that you would never normally do! Suggestions: play a few games of paintball, build a snowman, go salsa dancing, tour an art museum, or attend a sporting event.

If you have any good ideas, I’d love to hear them! Please post them below !

xoxo
                                                               Miss Manitou
Bri attends St. Olaf College in Northfield, Minnesota and is majoring in Psychology with concentrations in Media Studies and Women's Studies. She is most passionate about writing, traveling, cooking, hand-written letters and cheering on the Minnesota Vikings and Wisconsin Badgers. In her free time, she enjoys running, photography, attempting to blog and spending time with her amazing family and friends. She is currently an Arts & Entertainment Editor for the St. Olaf College newspaper with the lovely Lucy Casale and aspires to further explore the field of journalism after graduation.