5 Places You Should Go for Spring Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St Olaf chapter.

If you haven’t been counting down the days, then I want to give you a standing ovation. This year, St. Olaf’s spring break runs from March 18-26th and I have been counting down the days since the first day of spring semester. While spring break may sound far off, it is actually rapidly approaching (just like our midterms, except let’s not talk about that right now). Here are a list of five places you should consider when planning your spring break adventure. 

1.) Minneapolis, Minnesota 

Distance from St. Olaf: 42.8 miles, ~50 minute drive 

Points of Interest: Minneapolis is the largest city in Minnesota and forms the “Twin Cities” with neighboring city St. Paul. Some must-go places include Minneapolis Institute of Art, Chain of Lakes, Walker Art Center, Guthrie Theater and “Eat Street.” Minneapolis is very easy to get to for Oles and is perfect if you want to stay in-state during break. 

2.) Saint Paul, Minnesota 

Distance from St. Olaf: 46.8 miles, ~50 minute drive 

Points of Interest: Another great option for those who want to stay in-state, St. Paul is the capital of Minnesota. Some must-go places include the Como Park Zoo and Conservatory, the Science Museum of Minnesota and Grand Avenue. St. Paul also has some excellent restaurants such as the St. Paul Grill, Red Cow, and Punch Neapolitan Pizza. 

3.) Duluth, Minnesota 

Distance from St. Olaf: 194 miles, ~3 hour drive 

Points of Interest: Duluth is located northeast of Northfield. It is great for those who want to venture outside the Twin Cities. One of Duluth’s most popular attractions include the Lakewalk and Canal Park. There is also the Great Lakes Aquarium, the Aerial Lift Bridge, and the Glensheen Historic Estate. Also, if you go to Duluth, take a drive along the scenic North Shore. 

4.) Madison, Wisconsin 

Distance from St. Olaf: 264 miles, ~4 1/2 hour drive 

Points of Interest: If you are looking to experience life in a college town, Madison has it all. Madison is packed with little shops and restaurants in the downtown area, especially as you get closer to the University of Wisconsin. Other places to visit include the Olbrich Botanical Garden, the State Capital building and the Overture Center. Madison is also home to two lakes, Lake Monona and Lake Mendota. 

5.) Chicago, Illinois 

Distance from St. Olaf: 404 miles, ~6 hour drive 

Points of Interest: While this one is a little far from Northfield, if you are looking to experience life in a big city, then Chicago is the place to be. Chicago is the largest city in the Midwest and has the best deep dish pizza in the world. Other than being home to the Cubs, Chicago also has a slew of amazing museums, the Willis Tower, Navy Pier, the Magnificent Mile and the Bean. This city has a little something for everyone and offers great views of Lake Michigan. 

Image Sources: Thumbnail, Minneapolis, St. Paul, Duluth, Madison, Chicago