Women’s Ice Hockey: Kalie Grant

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. Law U chapter.

Meet Kalie Grant! Kalie is a First-Year from Potsdam, NY, and wears number 8 while playing center forward for the Saints Women’s Ice Hockey team. Kalie shares a little bit of her personal experience so far with the team as well as their mentality going into the semifinals of the ECAC tournament this weekend! Best of luck to Kalie and the Saints!

Q: What is your favorite part about being on the Women’s Ice Hockey team?

A: My favorite part of being on the Women’s ice hockey team at SLU is being a part of something so much bigger than myself. It has been a true honor to share the success with such great teammates and coaches. I love putting on the Saints jersey each day, knowing that all of my teammates have the same goals and aspirations as myself!

Q: Is there anyone specific that you look up to most on the team?

A: As a whole, the senior class, which consists of Kirsten Padalis, Brooke Webster and Alex Moore, stands out to me as a group of role models on our team. As a freshman, they have been so approachable and accountable in my eyes. I truly admire each of their desire to better themselves, those around them and the team as a whole. I think a lot of our success this season roots back to their dedication, support and leadership, which has been a constant reminder of our team’s goals for the season.

Q: What is your favorite Saints memory so far?

A: My favorite individual Saints memory so far was definitely scoring my first goal in our first game of the season against Northeastern. That was the same arena where my mother scored her first collegiate goal for Providence, so it was a pretty special moment for me!  

Q: What is the main focus for the team going into this weekend?

A: Our main focus going into this weekend is to continue to play the way we have been as a team, focusing on the little details in order to get the outcome we want. Throughout practice this week it has been a recurring theme of staying focused and committed to our style of play. Our coach, Chris Wells, has been a crucial reminder by saying that playoffs are just more hockey games, therefore we cannot try to “do too much.” Playing simple and relaxed, yet resilient remain our focal point for the weekend.

ECAC Semi-Finals:

When: Saturday March 4th at 4:00

Where: Clarkson University, Cheel Arena

Who: Cornell

ECAC Finals:

When: Sunday March 5th at 2:00

Where: Clarkson University, Cheel Arena

.
Kayla is Junior at St. Lawrence University, majoring in Communications and minoring in Sociology. She is a member of the Women's Lacrosse team on campus and is Vice President of Public Relations at Delta Delta Delta. She lives in Milbrook, NY where she is the 2nd oldest of four children and where her 4 doggies stay. Her role models include.. Amy Schumer. Kayla just recently got back from a semester abroad in Prague and is excited to pick up Chapter Coorespondent for Her Campus St. Law U once again!