This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. Law U chapter.

We all know that the colder, drier months bring on many problems to our usual beauty routine. Aside from wreaking havoc on our skin (check out our previous article “How To Achieve a Glow in Winter” for some tips on how to combat that!), there are many other issues that we have to deal with when this season comes around. Along with drinking plenty of water and eating well, here are a few other tips that you may have previously skipped over in your cold weather self-care.

The Problem: “I can’t use enough lip balm”

The Fix: Since your lips don’t produce oil like the rest of your skin, such as that on your face, they are especially vulnerable to the dry winter air. Try exfoliating your lips more with a dry toothbrush more often and using an oil-based lip balm rather than a waxy one. That way, the moisture will penetrate more deeply and will stay locked in so you don’t have to keep reapplying. Some brands with great oil-based formulas include Burt’s Bees, Vaseline, John Master’s Organics, and Jack Black.

The Problem: “My hair gets coarse and dry”

The Fix: Make the effort to protect your hair from the elements and keep a hat on when outside. In addition, use less heating products (blow dryers, straighteners, curlers, etc.) during this time to avoid any extra dryness and damage. Try to wash your hair less so that the natural oils keep it hydrated, and when you do choose to wash, make sure to use a deep conditioning treatment about once or twice a week. You can also apply light hair oils or leave-in creams to help with intense dryness or frizziness before going to class.

The Problem: “I have itchy, red patches of skin here and there”

The Fix: Cooler temperatures and indoor heating deplete the air’s humidity and will pull the moisture out of your exposed skin. Try using a cream or body lotion with shea butter and ceramides (which help to retain moisture) to hydrate and improve your skin’s barrier. Coconut oil is another great, multipurpose option that you can also apply to your hair and nails and is especially good for slathering on after you shave your legs. If your patches are itchy, it could be eczema, which tends to be more common in winter and requires a little more care and attention. Also make sure to apply lotion to all areas before going to bed at night so that the dry air from dorm room heaters doesn’t disturb your skin while you slumber. Side note: Spray tans can also start to look a little funky when your skin is super dry, so make sure to get a good scrub in before your next trip to ZoomTan (try ones by St. Ive’s, Olay, or Aveeno from the drugstore).

The Problem: “My nails are dry and brittle”

The Fix: When nails get weaker, it is important to give them a little extra TLC in order to keep them growing and looking nice. You can use coconut oil on your nails and cuticles in between manicures, and keeping hand cream in your bag for a little pick-me-up during class never hurt anyone! Also make sure to get a good cleaning and trimming every now and then to keep your tips in top shape- and don’t forget your feet too. The heels of your feet can get extra dry from all the wear they take in hefty snow boots, so the next time you go to the salon allow some extra time for a pedicure as well. Some great salon options near St. Lawrence’s campus include:

Perfection Nail Bar and Organic Spa- Ogdensburg, NY

(701 Canton St. Unit 116, Ogdensburg, New York 13669)

Top Nails Nail Salon- Potsdam, NY

(201 Market St, Potsdam, New York 13676)

Hi! I am Colby Hoffman, a Boston-born Campus Correspondent at St. Lawrence University located in Canton, New York. I am in the Class of 2020 and am pursuing a major in Communications with a minor in Sociology. Aside from running our chapter, I am also a member of the Women's Lacrosse Team, a content strategist on the University's Social Media Team, the Alumni Relations Chair of Delta Delta Delta Sorority, and an Ambassador & Tour Guide in our Admissions Office! In my free time, I enjoy going for walks around our beautiful campus, hanging out with friends over good food, researching travel destinations, and drinking iced coffee.