This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. Law U chapter.

When I first learned about feminism, the complex, challenging, and painful world that we live in seemed a little clearer to me. Like I opened a door and entered something that hugged me at every corner. It validated my existence, while also pushing me to think beyond myself. Every experience I had and struggle I endured was authenticated and accepted. I realized I was not alone in what I had been through, and everything I was going through and feeling was not unique to just me. I no longer stood alone in what felt like a battle to be heard, to be believed. I was not crazy, I was just unwilling to accept a world that told me I was not good enough. And unfortunately, modern feminism has been manipulated and misinterpreted, causing it to be under attack. The idea that modern feminism is unnecessary, going too far, or ridiculous is a startling, untrue, and dangerous narrative, that threatens the progression of our society. Modern feminism has given, and continues to give a voice to marginalized groups that once were pushed aside in the battle for equality by white, upper-class women. White, heterosexual, cisgender women are no longer the only voices in the fight for equality, something that first and second wave feminism cannot account for. At the same time, however, pinning different “waves” of the movement against each other is unproductive, and only divides a movement, that at the end of the day, bravely fights for the same goal. Progress is continuous, and it takes far more than just legislation or court rulings.

Furthermore, it is important to acknowledge the reality that within movements, there is always going to be disagreement. Just because you disagree with one issue does not mean the entire movement, its past accomplishments, and its future potential are discredited. No social movement is perfect, and that’s just the reality of political and social issues. I’ve found in my experience that people are hesitant to identify with being a feminist, because even among women it holds a certain (sometimes negative) connotation. While 85% of Americans believe in women’s equality, only 18% identify as feminists. I’m confident that if people truly understood the core of feminism, and truly reflected on their experiences and actions, that number could change. There is no reason that calling yourself a feminist should be shameful or embarrassing, and just because you don’t personally feel affected by gender-related issues, that does not mean your privilege should belittle or silence others. Everyone has different experiences, but it is essential to support people in having their voice heard and struggle validated, even if you have not been through the same thing. Feminism empowers women (and men too) and that is why I am, and everyone should be, unapologetically a feminist!