Why Everyone Should Take a Government Class

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. Law U chapter.

Entering college as a first year, I was so excited to finally be able to take classes I was really interested in. In high school, you are always busy filling requirements, and the idea that college offers the opportunity to control your learning provides a sense of freedom and independence. However, it also puts students at risk for not taking classes that would provide them a well-rounded education. Often, you apply to a single program within your college which makes it so your whole curriculum is built around taking a certain career path, like becoming a physician’s assistant or lawyer. Part of the reason why I believe a Liberal Arts degree is so important is because it ensures that you take a wide variety of classes. For this reason, I began taking a government class at St. Lawrence.

At my high school, I only ever took one government class and because I took it when I was so young, it didn’t really mean much to me. When I got to SLU, I enrolled in “Intro to American Politics,” and it has forever changed how I approach the world. In it, I have learned about an array of topics, from the history of our Constitution, to how money has played a role in political campaigns, and to understanding how our government is actually set up. Each week we cover topics that ask me to check my privilege and rethink my role in politics. Going to college offers an opportunity to be surrounded by a variety of people from several different backgrounds. Taking a government class forced me to think about the bigger picture of life in America and takes me out of Canton, New York. We look at statistics showing how the “American Dream” is as impossible as ever, and we watch movies that put a face to the number that 1 in 5 children live in poverty here in the United States. These things can be hard to address, but the first step to change is awareness and education.

I am not asking everyone to become a government major or run for office, because that is unrealistic. However, I simply want to emphasize that if you are wondering how to start engaging in a civic duty or make a change in our complex world, taking a government class is a good place to start. It will take you out of your comfort zone, but you will be thankful for it in the long run.