kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Ways to Survive the Gym

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. Law U chapter.

The gym is a great resource to take advantage of at SLU since it is free and included in tuition! For some people though it’s the last place they’d ever think of going to get in shape. Admittedly, to newbies it can seem way too intimidating at first, but believe it or not the gym isn’t just for the fit and already toned athletes! It’s a space to finally fulfill those fitness goals you’ve been procrastinating on for months. Whether you’re convinced you aren’t strong enough, or you don’t think you know how to use the equipment, here’s a few pointers on how to survive the dreaded gym!

1. Find a gym buddy! Everything is way less terrifying when you have a friend by your side! It’s even better when that friend has some experience with going to the gym and working out. That way they can show you some of their tips and fitness routines as well as motivate you to actually go.

2. Go to the gym with a plan. If you make yourself a routine, or find one (Pinterest has some great pre made workout circuits) you’ll feel less self-conscious about not knowing what to do. Also, not everyone who goes to the gym lifts heavy weights. The mats are great spaces to do bodyweight exercises and ab workouts. The treadmill and elliptical also won’t involve any heavy lifting and are relatively easy to use.

3. Try to familiarize yourself with the equipment before you jump right in and start using it. Watching and learning is sometimes the best way to figure out what to do with a confusing machine. Asking someone how to use a piece of equipment is totally okay too, that way you don’t hurt yourself doing it incorrectly.

4. Don’t worry about sweating! So many people make you believe sweating is gross, especially for girls. Sweating means whatever you’re doing is working, and I’m sure if you look around you aren’t the only one! If you are really that self-conscious about sweat, avoid wearing light grey and stick to dark colors that won’t show sweat stains as much. Or embrace the sweat soaked look, it’s a way to brag about your workout!

5. Necessities for the gym include headphones and a water bottle. Bring LOTS of water! Working out is miserable if you feel dehydrated. Bringing headphones and making a killer workout playlist will motivate you even more and distract you from all that gym intimidation.

6. If you really want to avoid gym rush hour, don’t plan your visit between 4 and 6:30 p.m. For some reason I’ve found that those are the busiest times. Instead wake up before class (the gym opens at 6 a.m. and closes at 10 p.m.), or go late at night.

7. If you feel like you’re really lost with what to do join a guided fitness class or try out a session with a personal trainer! Spin classes seem to be a big hit among my friends and a personal trainer can make a personalized routine for you.

I promise you even if you think all eyes are on you at the gym, that’s probably not the case. Everyone’s too focused on themselves to really care about what anyone else is doing. So stop avoiding the gym and just go!