This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. Law U chapter.

With only a few places on campus to eat, it’s easy to fall into a routine that consists of eggs, wraps, and quesadillas. If you are getting tired of ordering off of the same ol’ menu offered at the pub, try some of these tasty tricks!

Breakfast

Apple dip I usually start out with a Greek yogurt (my personal fav is blueberry chobani), and mix a packet of peanut butter and a little bit of honey from the drink bar into it. If you have granola handy (don’t be surprised, some people do), mix a little in to give your dip some texture. Finally, find a ripe apple and cut it up to dip into your new yogurt concoction!

Guacamole Toast Sometimes, the pub avocados just aren’t ripe enough for some of our likings… so an easy alternative? Guacamole! Depending on how hungry you are, you can order either just toast (white, wheat, 12 grain, rye, etc.)  or toast with two eggs cooked the way you like them, and a side of guacamole. Spread the guac across the toast, put your egg on top, and viola! Your very own homemade guacamole toast. Add extra flavor with a shake or two of red pepper flakes, which you can find to the left of the refrigerated section by the ketchup and olive oil.

Egg Toppers- Eggs are delicious as is, but a little extra flavor can never hurt. Ask for any egg accessory you can think of to spice up your meal; several peoples go to is a bed of spinach and a sliced tomato with two eggs on top, maybe on an English muffin. Or ask for it with melted cheese on top and then slice up your own avocado. The choices are endless!

Lunch  

Make your own salad- Many people don’t know this, but you have the option of creating your own fresh salad, instead of buying the pre-made salads in the fridge. All you have to do is take either a regular order slip or the back of a sandwich slip, and write what you want! Your array of choices for toppings and such are pretty broad. You can get spinach, iceberg, or shredded lettuce; toppings include cucumbers, tomatoes, any kind of cheese, beans, jalapenos, grilled chicken, and just about anything else that you can order on a sandwich. Extra hint – if you ask for it to go, they’ll make it in the to-go boxes, which are a bit bigger than the usual salad bowls!

PB Banana Pita- A personal fav, especially before a practice or a workout, is a PB banana pita. First, on a sandwich slip, write down a toasted pita with peanut butter. Toasting the pita warms it up, making peanut butter more spreadable and much more delicious. Then, get a banana (make sure it’s a good one), cut it up, and spread it evenly on top of the peanut butter. You could call it a snack as is and enjoy with a glass of milk, or, you could spice it up some more. Don’t forget that the drink bar offers honey and cinnamon for your drinks, so why not use it on your sandwich too? Drizzle a little honey and sprinkle a little cinnamon in your pita. Bam. Perfect mid day munchies.

Grilled Cheese- Spice up your everyday grilled cheese by adding a few sophisticated toppings. Try asking for the classic sandwich with cheddar cheese, spinach, and tomato on 12 grain bread. Feeling even more saucy? A side of pesto will top of the meal and leave you happy and full. For another spin, try doing the exact same sandwich with tuna for a flavorful tuna melt.

Vegetarian Chili with a Twist- Everyone who loves chili as much as we do knows that Tuesday is veggie chili day. But that’s not all – several days a week, including Tuesday, SLU gets a shipment in from the Potsdam Food Co-op (if you get the chance, definitely drive over sometime and check it out, it’s amazing!). If you get there before it’s sold out, the quinoa salad mixed into the veggie chili gives it a hearty flavor and a more satisfying texture.  

Dinner  

Well balanced meal- Sometimes, when you’re trying to figure out what to get, it’s just easiest to stick with a simple, well balanced meal. Ask for a piece of chicken (or two, they can be pretty small), with maybe some melted mozzarella on it, or a side of pesto. Then, to make sure you get your greens too, ask for a side of steamed broccoli, get a veggie plate in the fridge, or a yummy salad with balsamic or Caesar. A quick and easy balance of protein and some greens for an easy dinner.  

Quesadilla options- Quesadillas are typically my go to late night dinner if I’ve been in the library all night, or had a late practice. Don’t get me wrong, the plain quesadilla wrap is yummy, but it’s also huge! If you’re not super hungry, ask for a gluten free quesadilla. It’s about half the size, and just as tasty. If you ARE super hungry, there are different wrap options too! There are spinach wraps, herb wraps, tomato wraps, and several more. Its an easy way to spice up your meal.

Specials, specials, specials!- The oh-so underrated specials.  Don’t look at the special board as just another obstacle to get around when walking through the bustling pub; sometimes, it has a lot to offer. Tuesday nights are usually turkey burgers. You can swap out the bun for a bed of spinach with an egg on top (um, yum). Wednesdays the pub usually has sushi for lunch, Saturdays there is eggs benedict with home fries for breakfast, and Mondays offer a Saints bowl (basically a shepherd’s pie). It’s always a great alternative when you just can’t figure out what you’re craving. Check them out!

Kayla is Junior at St. Lawrence University, majoring in Communications and minoring in Sociology. She is a member of the Women's Lacrosse team on campus and is Vice President of Public Relations at Delta Delta Delta. She lives in Milbrook, NY where she is the 2nd oldest of four children and where her 4 doggies stay. Her role models include.. Amy Schumer. Kayla just recently got back from a semester abroad in Prague and is excited to pick up Chapter Coorespondent for Her Campus St. Law U once again!