This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. Law U chapter.

I was traveling for an admissions panel last weekend and was talking to the parents of an accepted student. The accepted student’s father asked me what my favorite class was that I had taken so far at St. Lawrence. It was a no-brainer for me- I knew my answer: Creative Nonfiction Writing. He wanted more details and I was happy to give them.  

Creative Nonfiction is a class that most students would not be drawn to taking at first. There is a reading due for every class and a 2-3 page writing assignment at least once a week in addition to our larger papers. Originally, I had just enrolled in the class because it fit into my schedule nicely and one of my best friends was enrolled in it as well. I wanted a break from my science-heavy schedule, and this class worked well for that.  I knew it would be a lot of work, but what I didn’t know was that I would really enjoy the assignments. The class focused on writing a memoir, a personal essay, and a literary journalism essay. At first, it was really hard to find interesting content about myself that I was willing to have my classmates read. Now, I can’t imagine not having my peers edit my work because they all give such valuable feedback. This class got me out of my comfort zone with writing and has improved my writing skills as far as content, structure, and clarity, which I continue to utilize in my other courses at SLU.

One of the greatest aspects of St. Lawrence is that you can take a wide variety of classes. My main interest is Psychology, but I found a love for Creative Writing and I am still able to take classes in that subject without falling behind. The professors are also so helpful and I have grown close to my Creative Nonfiction teacher.  He has given me advice on what other classes to take within the English Department and has been able to advance my writing skills tremendously.

Overall, I highly recommend taking Creative Nonfiction or any class that is outside of your usual academic realm. You might end up loving it, like I did!

Photo: https://www.writing.com

Lauren Donohue

St. Law U '21

I am a Senior at St. Lawrence University.  I am a Psychology major with minors in Film Studies & Sports Studies and Exercise Science.  I am the captain of the Womens Varsity Volleyball team and am a Senior Admissions Fellow on campus.  I enjoy sunny weather and iced coffee from Dunkin :)   
.