How to Survive Summer in the City

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. Law U chapter.

For many college students, this summer means taking the leap and interning or starting new jobs in the Big Apple. There are so many great and unique aspects about New York City that make it fun and exciting, however, in the dead of summer it can get hot and hectic with no beaches in sight. So here are some ways to survive summer in New York City!

Be prepared for the heat: Walking to the subways underground takes already hot conditions to a new level, which will leave you sweaty and sticky for your first day of work. Only some subways have air conditioning, but it’s always a risk no matter what line you take. Try to have a fan on you at all times whether it’s paper or electronic, and remember to always drink lots of water throughout the day. I can also guarantee you that your makeup will run and you will get sweat stains on your clothes, so bring some deodorant and a makeup bag for any last minute touch ups!

Your office WILL be freezing: Because outside is sweltering, every corporate office building will have the air conditioning on high and it will feel like the arctic tundra, so always keep a sweater or a light layer with you!

Take the Subway: Whether you are familiar with the city or not, taking the subway is your best option for transportation. During the summer, traffic is atrocious and taking taxis everywhere can be pretty expensive. Instead, take the subway for $2.75 to almost anywhere in the city. It might be confusing at first, but the app “CityMapper” is a huge help; you just plug in your destination and it gives you the correct lines to take along with what stops to get off at, saving you a lot of time and stress!

Take Advantage of the Water: Manhattan is an island, so there are many great places along the water to explore and to watch the sunset after a long work day. One of my favorite places to go is Industry Kitchen, which is a restaurant on the water in the financial district, or to the boat basin on the Upper West Side. If you feel like branching out of the city, Brooklyn Bridge Park is a great place to sit by the water and look at the Manhattan Skyline.

You WILL Spend Money: Living in the city can be pretty expensive, especially if you are paying for rent. However, that being said, there are lots of ways to avoid spending money while still having fun! There are many great places to visit for free in the city, such as the Metropolitan Museum, The High Line, and the Brooklyn Bridge. In addition, DrinkOwl and Groupon are two great apps that show certain happy hour and menu specials to help you eat and drink on a budget while in the city.

A first year at St. Lawrence University, squash player, PCA Major from New York City.
Kayla is Junior at St. Lawrence University, majoring in Communications and minoring in Sociology. She is a member of the Women's Lacrosse team on campus and is Vice President of Public Relations at Delta Delta Delta. She lives in Milbrook, NY where she is the 2nd oldest of four children and where her 4 doggies stay. Her role models include.. Amy Schumer. Kayla just recently got back from a semester abroad in Prague and is excited to pick up Chapter Coorespondent for Her Campus St. Law U once again!