ethan robertson SYx3UCHZJlo unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
ethan robertson SYx3UCHZJlo unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

How to Stay Involved Over the Summer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. Law U chapter.

While many college students are dedicated and involved members of many clubs and organizations during the academic year, the summer months can be a time when this type of involvement comes to a temporary stop, however, it doesn’t have to be that way! The summer is the perfect time to develop connections and become more involved with your own local community; student leadership and community service pursuits can be so much more than just campus activities. Here are a few tips for how to continue making a difference during the summer months!

Photo creds: Monte Vista Christian School

Follow your passions – leadership and community service are most powerful, both to those you are serving as well as yourself, if your involvement is driven by a passion. If you love sports, volunteering at a youth clinic or summer camp allows you to share your skills and knowledge with others through honesty and enthusiasm for something you love. If you find yourself more introverted, or simply prefer more behind-the-scenes work, preparing food at a soup kitchen or helping to stock a local food pantry are equally rewarding. Grab a friend or two, and your volunteer work might become a treasured part of your summer months together.  

Use your connections – Sometimes service is more powerful when it is associated with something that is meaningful to you. Maybe you know someone with cancer, a disability, or a dream to accomplish something specific. Helping them to fundraise, run an event, or even participating in an event associated with the cause is a great way to get involved with a cause.

Do your research, or just inquire! – If you have heard about an interesting opportunity through the grapevine, do your research! Don’t hesitate. Inquiring with someone you know or reaching out to a contact person for the specific opportunity can open so many new doors. Just because you aren’t on campus, doesn’t mean you cannot continue to make a difference.

Photo creds: TeenLife

.
Kayla is Junior at St. Lawrence University, majoring in Communications and minoring in Sociology. She is a member of the Women's Lacrosse team on campus and is Vice President of Public Relations at Delta Delta Delta. She lives in Milbrook, NY where she is the 2nd oldest of four children and where her 4 doggies stay. Her role models include.. Amy Schumer. Kayla just recently got back from a semester abroad in Prague and is excited to pick up Chapter Coorespondent for Her Campus St. Law U once again!