How to Prepare for College Over the Summer Months

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. Law U chapter.

The summer is fast approaching and with it will come the nervousness and excitement of preparing for a first semester of college. Leaving behind everything that is familiar may sound scary, but the truth is that the next four years are going to be the most exciting years of your life so far. The summer before freshman year of college flies by faster than the months of summer already do, but don’t let this extra time slip away too fast! Here are a few tips to make the most of the summer months to prepare for your first year away from home!

Stay on top of due dates – With summer comes countless forms and applications that need to be completed before you arrive on campus. Don’t lose sight of them. While they may be overwhelming, completing them on time will make your first few days on campus much less stressful!

Do your research – Finding a balance between your course load and extra curricular activities is  important! Do a little research over the summer months to find some clubs or teams that may interest you. When you arrive on campus be sure to attend any club fairs so that you can learn more about each one and sign up for those that you want to be a part of!

Rest up – College can be busy and exhausting. Use the summer months to rest physically and mentally. You’ll be happy you did!

Earn some money – Whether you just want to go out to dinner with friends, buy a new dress for formal, or go to the Ticker on a Saturday night, you’re going to need that little bit of extra cash.

De-stress – College is stressful. Use the summer months to let go of all the stresses from high school so you are calm and ready to go when you arrive on campus in the fall.

Stock up – Getting all of the dorm essentials is a priority during the summer months. But don’t wait until the last minute because everything sells out fast. Do a little every week during the month leading up to your departure so you don’t get caught scrambling. Target, T.J. Maxx, HomeGoods, and PBTeen all have great varieties to choose from. But no one wants a dorm room that is cluttered, stick to the essentials and try not to over do it with the accessories.

Look into classes and requirements – Do your research! You chose a school for a reason, but now it is important to know some of the details. Look into classes that sound of interest to you as well as classes that will fulfill whatever requirements your school may have. If you are planning your schedule over the summer, take into consideration the importance of balance! Don’t overload your schedule with all of the hardest classes all at once and be honest and aware of your strengths and weaknesses.

Start packing – Don’t save packing until the week before! When those last few days at home arrive, I promise you will want to spend them cherishing time with family and friends.

Get in all the family time you can.

Don’t panic! – Leaving behind everything that is familiar can be scary, but it doesn’t have to be! Try to stay calm and replace any nervousness with excitement. When you arrive on campus you will forget why you ever panicked in the first place!