This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. Law U chapter.

Summer is coming! Soon we will all be packed up and in the car on our way home, thinking about all we have to look forward to. However one crucial part of being packed up is the process of actually packing. It’s nobody’s favorite thing to do but it has to be done. Here are a few tips and tricks on how to make moving out go as smooth as possible!

1. Pack in segments – Don’t leave it all to the last minute, start by putting different things away that aren’t necessities a few days before leaving to make the final packing session much easier.

1. Unplug your fridge ahead of time – After being on for so long when you shut off your fridge it will melt and get leaky, so unplug it ahead of time so your car doesn’t get all wet.

1. Leave your clothes on hangers – Makes for such an easy transition when you get home too! Take all your clothes on hangers and tie them together, cover with a garbage bag for protection, and you have homemade garment bags.

1. Sell your books in advance – You don’t want to be carrying the extra weight of your 100 pound calculus textbook, so sell your books beforehand if possible.

1. Get some help – What better way to say goodbye to your friends for the summer than getting sweaty and moving boxed together?

1. Donate – lighten your load entirely and get rid of clothes you don’t wear and donate them!

1. Use Ziploc or Ikea bags: These bags are great for packing up your clothes because they are very durable and can hold many different items. These large bags are also useful because they are reusable and easy to label!

8. Use Storage Bins: Large bins help with storing miscellaneous items and are easy to pack into your car. You can also stack these bins which helps with transporting all of your belongings home.

9. …Or Use Thelmo Storage!: Storage through Thelmo is free at the end of the semester for St. Lawrence students! If you have anything too bulky, heavy, or obnoxious to bring home in the car, check out the below link and fill out this form for free storage!

http://www.stlawu.edu/thelomathesian-society/resource/thelmo-storage-invoice

Also, here is the schedule that tells you when you can drop off your belongings!

10. U-Haul trailers: If you don’t decide to use storage, there is a U-Haul location a mile from campus. You can browse the U-Haul website and rent a trailer attachment that you simply attach to the back of any type of car, and you’re good to go. It’s cheap, easy, and convenient!

Kristen Phillips

St. Law U '20

Hi everyone! I'm Kristen! I am a Performance and Communications arts and Psychology double major, and plan to one day hold a career in the public relations field. On campus, some of my favorite things to do are get chai lattes at the bookstore, run the nearby trails, head into town for some kombucha, or hang out at my sorority house with my friends! 
Kayla is Junior at St. Lawrence University, majoring in Communications and minoring in Sociology. She is a member of the Women's Lacrosse team on campus and is Vice President of Public Relations at Delta Delta Delta. She lives in Milbrook, NY where she is the 2nd oldest of four children and where her 4 doggies stay. Her role models include.. Amy Schumer. Kayla just recently got back from a semester abroad in Prague and is excited to pick up Chapter Coorespondent for Her Campus St. Law U once again!