How to Make Your Dorm Room Feel Like Home

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. Law U chapter.

Returning to campus after the summer months can make it hard to make your dorm room feel as cozy as the room you inhabited at home. When you move into a new dorm room, you have to figure out how to organize your furniture and belongings so that it feels like it’s ‘you’. If you’re feeling lost in the process, here are a few ways that can help to make your dorm room feel just like home.

Take time to organize. When you first walk into your room, you typically see everything lined up in the middle. Take the time to organize your room to make it feel like a comfortable and cozy place to be. This could be moving your dresser behind your bed so that you have a “headboard” or just rearranging to make more floor space.

Make your bed a priority. This is where you are going to sleep every night while you are at school so it is important that your bed feels like a nice place to be! Consider a DIY headboard or adding decorative pillows to help make your bed feel just like home and make it a favorite place to be.

Add lights to your room. The fluorescent lighting in every room does not make any dorm room feel like home. Adding some twinkle lights or lamps can make it much more relaxing and welcoming.

Decorate your walls. Decorating your walls is a great way to make your room incredibly unique. Try hanging up something that is special to you, whether it be a sign from your hometown or pictures of your friends. The decorations on your wall are a great way to make your new home feel just like home!

Photos: Pinterest