photos by lanty zUU73lEdcBU unsplash
photos by lanty zUU73lEdcBU unsplash

How I Overcame Homesickness

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. Law U chapter.

Homesickness is an issue I’m sure I am not the only one who has gone through it.  Despite my experience of going to camp and boarding school, I found myself homesick my first few weeks here at SLU.

Crazy how I was homesick even after all my experience away from home right?  The change of boarding school routine to college routine threw me off. From doing stuff every second of the day and having the option of only having to drive an hour if I wanted to go home to coming to college where I at most would have two classes a day. I had to learn how to keep myself busy and not sit in my room all day realizing how hard it would be for me to go home on any given weekend.  To be able to do that I gave myself a new routine.  Either going to the gym, hanging out with friends, setting time to do homework, and even joining clubs keeping myself busy I was able to overcome my homesickness.

My advice from what I have learned is that it can be easy to get caught up in the moment and realize the little things you are missing out on at home but once you distract yourself from that being away from home isn’t that bad!

(Photos: Bric, ISP magazine)

Hi! I am Julia DellaRusso! I am a member of the Her Campus Chapter at St. Lawrence Unviersity! I am a communications major with a sports and exersize science minor. When I am not in class I am on the Field, as I am also a member of the Field Hockey team!! If you can't find me staying active or studying, you can usually find me watching an episode of Friends or enjoying a bowl of Pasta!!  Check out my articles below!! 
.