kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Healthy Dining Hall Hacks

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. Law U chapter.

We are almost two months into the New Year already! If you happened to fall off the resolutions bandwagon or you are running out of ideas of how to remain healthy while at school, here are some tips and tricks on how to hack Dana Dining Hall at St. Lawrence (or any campus dining area) to keep your meals healthy, but still delicious.

1. Take a lap first. Coming into Dana starving is a normal occurrence, but that may cause you to grab the first thing you see, usually unhealthy, and put it on your plate. Instead take a lap and survey what the meals are that day and then start your plate. They always have a different cooked vegetable beside the pasta so start there.

2. Try the half and half method. If you can’t live without Dana macaroni and cheese, next time get half the serving you normally would and supplement the other half with vegetables or another whole grain. This way you’re still getting the satisfaction but also getting nutrients.

3. Use almond milk in your coffee instead of creamer. They keep unsweetened almond milk, organic dairy milk, lactose free milk and coconut milk in the fridge beside the soup!

4. Add honey or maple syrup to your tea or oatmeal instead of sugar. Honey and maple syrup are both composed of natural sugars, which have a lower glycemic index, meaning they won’t cause a blood sugar spike like refined sugar does.

5. Be mindful of your salad dressing. Having a beautifully constructed salad can easily be ruined by dousing it in caesar or ranch dressing. Try for a vinaigrette or just decrease the amount of creamy dressing you use.

6. Eat your veggies!! We are lucky to have such a variety in the salad bar. Instead of having the usual iceberg lettuce, cucumbers, carrots and croutons in your salad, reach for the organic spring mix and add edamame, chickpeas, and quinoa.  

7. Try something new! You never know until you try, so try to add one new healthy item to your plate everyday, whether that be a vegetable, bean, grain or hot meal. If you like it then great, and if not you try something new tomorrow!

8. Small hacks to remember:

– You can always get a plain chicken breast at the start of the meal line, just ask one of the staff.

– There is always a pre-made salad in the salad bar if you do not want to make one yourself.

– Dana does eggs to order weekdays at breakfast.

– There are sunflower seeds beside the ketchup and mustard. Add them to your salad for a healthy fat to keep you fuller for longer.

– The honey is located beside the coffee and tea area.

– There is an organic section is at the end of the salad bar closest to the waffle makers.

– There is a jar of almond butter out on top of where the peanut butters are.

9. Don’t overthink it. Contrary to what most people think, eating healthy in Dana is not all that challenging. Keep scrolling for some Dana meal pics to motivate you!