photos by lanty zUU73lEdcBU unsplash
photos by lanty zUU73lEdcBU unsplash

A Fall Trip to Ottawa- One of Three

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. Law U chapter.

A Fall Trip to Ottawa – The first of three

Considered the safest city in Canada (Mainstreet/Postmedia) and only one hour away from campus, Ottawa is a great city to visit in any season. You can take it as a day trip, or make a whole weekend of it. This is the first of three seasonal articles that will help make any trip to Ottawa a success!

Make it a road trip – It may only be an hour away but Ottawa is a great destination for a mini road trip. Pack up your things, grab a coffee, put on your fall playlist and take advantage of this quality time with friends.

Photo creds: Brooke Kelly

Wander around the city – Ottawa, while being a city, is small enough that nearly everything is in walking distance, so take advantage! If you’re looking for a more scenic walk, you can wander the paths all around the Major’s Hill Park or to the Rideau Canal, which in the winter turns into the world’s largest skating rink. If you are looking for the more classic activities keep reading!

Photo Creds: George Popadynec

See the Parliament Buildings – Ottawa is the capital of Canada and it is important that you do the proper sightseeing before you head back to campus. The Parliament Buildings are some of the most historic and iconic buildings in the country so it is worth a visit!

Photo creds: Brooke Kelly

Find a cute coffee shop – On a brisk fall day, coffee shops and restaurants are a great place to stop. Luckily they are plentiful in Ottawa and are a good break from Dana or the Pub!

Photo creds: Brooke Kelly

Visit the Byward Market – the local market has lots of fresh produce but is also a fun place to simply look around and enjoy the aesthetically pleasing seasonal products. They also have tons of cute pumpkins and lots of delicious maple candies!

Photo creds: Malik Merchant/Simerg

Go to the Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory – Although this chocolate factory isn’t native to Ottawa, it’s a great place to treat yourself when you come across it in the city! They have everything from chocolate covered strawberries, to caramel apples to massive peanut butter cups.

Photo creds: Alexx Nawrocki

Go shopping at the Rideau Centre – Ottawa has an extensive and recently renovated mall with familiar and unfamiliar stores and brands. It’s likely you’ll be able to find that staple for your style that you couldn’t find back home.

Photo creds: Ottawa Sun

Take advantage of the exchange rates – but prepare yourself for higher taxes!

Photo creds: Gravel Travel

Enjoy late nights – Staying up late with friends is something you can do anytime, but a trip to Ottawa is a great chance to take advantage of time away from school! Goof around with your friends while watching movies and binge eating all the delicious food that you won’t find on campus, you won’t regret it!

Photo creds: We Heart It