Everything You’ve Been Wondering About Sweater Girls

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. Law U chapter.

We’ve all heard of sweater girls here at St. Lawrence, but not many people really know what they are, or what they do! Well, we have found three seasoned sweater girls to answer all the questions everyone is wondering just in time for the hockey season to kick off.

Q: So, what is a sweater girl?

A: Although we’re known as sweater girls, a more universal term would be usher! We wear big, old school sweaters that have a large red “L” on the left side, which is where the term sweater girl came from initially. We check tickets, help people find their seats in the arena, and continuously scan our sections throughout the game to make sure everyone is still safe. Additionally, we kindly refrain people from going down the aisles while the puck is in play. While some people falsely believe that this is done to avoid distraction to the players, it is actually to provide other fans and spectators full view of the rink during each play. An additional aspect of the job that I love is that we get to interact with members of the local community. And, let’s not forget that we also get to watch hockey!

-Brooke Kelly

2. How did you get the job of a sweater girl? Is it possible for others to apply?

A: I got the job as a sweater girl through connections on campus. If you know someone that is already a sweater girl or knows the girl in charge of all of the sweater girls, it is much easier. I believe others are still able to be added to the rotating list, but it is a first come first serve basis for who works the games.

-Grace Robinson

3. What is your favorite part of being a sweater girl?

A: My favorite part about being a sweater girl is the whole essence of the job. While we do have the responsibilities of checking tickets, asking people to wait for a whistle before returning to their seats, and scanning our sections to make sure everything is okay, a significant portion of the job involves standing at the top of the section, with the opportunity of watching hockey games and it be classified as a job. I know I would be at all the games anyway, so I thought, why not work there and make a little bit of money too? I also have met so many people from Canton, as well as other students, who I never would have had the chance of meeting otherwise. Being a sweater girl definitely tops the list of best jobs on campus!

-Chelsea De Luca

4. What is a downside to being a sweater girl?

A: One downside to being a sweater girl might be that you are not able to be in the student section during the games! However, you are able to cheer on SLU while also making connections with Canton locals. This can completely broaden your connections and can also lead to some interesting stories.

– Grace Robinson

5. Have you had a particularly bad experience being one?

A: I have never personally had a bad experience being a sweater girl. This is a great way to make new connections and meet other girls while also being able to cheer on the SLU hockey team! The only thing that could go wrong is if someone gets hit with a puck, but we are trained thoroughly with what to do if this situation arises.

-Grace Robinson

Kristen Phillips

St. Law U '20

Hi everyone! I'm Kristen! I am a Performance and Communications arts and Psychology double major, and plan to one day hold a career in the public relations field. On campus, some of my favorite things to do are get chai lattes at the bookstore, run the nearby trails, head into town for some kombucha, or hang out at my sorority house with my friends! 
.