Everything I’d Rather Be than Pretty

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. Law U chapter.

In today’s society, it feels like everywhere we turn we are confronted with the idea of what women are “supposed to be.” Advertisements and social media tirelessly try to portray the “ideal female,” with a tiny waste, plump lips, and long hair. However, that person does not exist in real life. Society wants us to settle for being nothing more than just “pretty,” but there are so many others things that we can– and should –be. Here is everything I would rather be than “pretty.” What would you rather be?

Compassionate – I would rather be the girl who always puts others first. Someone who other people feel comfortable talking to. I want to be loving, caring, and kind.

Confident – Confidence is how we carry ourselves, how we perceive the events that happen to us, and how we choose to face the future. Always be confident in yourself.                     

Genuine – I would rather be sincere, honest, and real. I’m not going to pretend to be someone else just to please others.

Grounded – I want to be a girl that is grounded and aware of who she truly is. “Pretty” is on the outside, and it can fool people, but it cannot fool everyone.

Happy – I would rather be happy: happy about the person I am, happy with my surroundings, and happy with the direction of my life.

Independent – I would rather be independent, although it isn’t always easy. Independence is about discovering and pursuing your own ideas and beliefs, but it also means creating your own freedom.

Inspirational – I would rather find the purpose in my life that might someday inspire others to find the purpose in theirs.

Passionate – I would rather be passionate and full of life. Finding your passion and allowing it to become a driving force is like finding a whole new purpose for living and replacing appearances with action.

Strong – And finally, I would rather be strong. Strength goes beyond the physical attribute. Being strong means being able to stay true to yourself and go through life with your chin up so that no situation can make you falter. But most of all, I just want to be “me.” What makes you you?