De-stressing on Campus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. Law U chapter.

We all love the weekends. When class gets out on Thursday the workload is off our shoulders…for two days, that is. It’s well known that Thursday and Saturday nights are the big nights on campus. So how much work do we really get done after a crappy hangover and a Friday class? Well, if you’re like me, little to none.   

Weekdays can be stressful, especially if you’re an “I need a 4.0” kind of girl. Don’t get me wrong; that kind of ambition is impressive. But with a mentality like that comes a lot of stress. Here are a few tips for you ladies who have a competitive GPA, play a sport, or are totally committed to a club/extracurricular activity.  

1. Go to yoga. Club yoga happens every day and sometimes twice a day! Join the Facebook group, get the schedule, and go. I don’t care what you say; your brain needs a break. And not an “I am going to eat dinner and continue to stress” break. It’s important to relax your brain and body every once in a while. And if you’ve never gone to yoga or don’t usually go, never fear! Classes are usually simple, relaxed, and no one judges. We all need time to empower ourselves, and nothing is more empowering than yoga meditation. I promise you it will be a breath of fresh air before you hit the library for the night.     
  2. Meditate. The L.I.G.H.T house offers a meditation every Wednesday night. Don’t know anyone who lives in the lighthouse? That’s just fine because they are the same people that run the Yoga classes. They are kind, welcoming, and are totally zen. The house is located at 17 College Street. Take time to ease your brain!   
  3.  Have wine night with your ladies. Times get tough and tensions get high. We are all hormonal humans who are just trying to do our best. Take a night every few weeks to order Thai food or Sergies and share 2 big bottles of barefoot white wine. Vent, enjoy each other’s company, and don’t stress about texting the boy (or girl) you like. Best friends are one of the greatest gifts you will ever receive from going to a small University like ours. Take extra time to de-stress from your work and focus on the people you love.  
  4. Turn your phone off for two hours. We are so consumed by our technology. You know that, I know that, we all know it’s a way of life. Focus on yourself without thinking about the snapchat, instagram, or text message you’re about to receive. Once a week disconnect for just an hour or two. This may be harder for some than others, but it’s a time of self-reflection that will drive you to focus even better.  
  5. Go get ice cream at Stewarts and don’t feel guilty about it. Take 20 minutes from your night with your friends to grab a cone. It’s yummy, it’s inexpensive and it will make you happier. 

I know being at college can be a whirlwind. Whether it’s your schoolwork, your relationships, or your mental health that’s bothering you, it’s so important that you love yourself first. So I hope these little tips help you out. My last tidbit for you is to be open to interacting with new people. By going to St. Lawrence it’s impossible not to make a connection with a fellow student. I hope you have a happy semester full of smiles, simply because you deserve it!

I am a sophomore at St. Lawrence University! I am a member of the lacrosse team, global studies major, and art minor. I have studied abroad in Kenya for a summer term, and am headed to South Africa next fall. I am originally from north of Boston, and spend my winters at Jay Peak, Vermont. I am also the youngest of my four siblings to study at SLU.
Kayla is Junior at St. Lawrence University, majoring in Communications and minoring in Sociology. She is a member of the Women's Lacrosse team on campus and is Vice President of Public Relations at Delta Delta Delta. She lives in Milbrook, NY where she is the 2nd oldest of four children and where her 4 doggies stay. Her role models include.. Amy Schumer. Kayla just recently got back from a semester abroad in Prague and is excited to pick up Chapter Coorespondent for Her Campus St. Law U once again!