Alexx Nawrocki ’20: Alpine Skiing

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. Law U chapter.

Meet our very own Alexx Nawrocki! A sophomore from New Castle, New Hampshire, Alexx is a Business and Communication Studies double major. However, she is also a member of the Alpine Ski Team here at St. Lawrence! With winter approaching, we decided to ask her to tell us a little more about herself, her team, and her passion for skiing.

Q: When did you learn to ski?

I started skiing at the age of two. My parents had taken my sisters and I to Attitash Mountain in the Mt. Washington Valley area of New Hampshire to watch my brother ski with my dad. As the little sisters wanting to follow everything our older brother did, we insisted to ski. My dad would take turns with each of us on the bunny hill, while my mom or my grandparents hung out with the other two on the Magic Carpet.

Q: How long have you been ski racing?

I started racing when I was eight. My dad is a big skier and raced all the way through college, attending the University of New Hampshire. He has also coached for many years. He and my mom signed my sisters and I up for the Attitash Ski Team, the same program my brother was in. It started out as a weekend program, but when I reached high school my family and I started moving every winter to Waterville Valley, NH, where we attended the 5-month program at Waterville Valley Academy. This allowed us to ski every day and compete at a higher level. Ever since I started on the Attitash Race Team at eight years old, I’ve loved racing and how unique of a sport it is.

Q: Can you give us an idea of a day in the life for you?

Most everyone on the team skis five or six days a week. On Monday and Wednesdays, we train at Whiteface Mountain just off campus. Last year, I would get up for training and jump in the 6:00 a.m van to the mountain. I’d train all morning then return to campus for my afternoon classes. On Tuesday, the whole team travels to Mont Cascades (which is outside of Ottawa) in the afternoon. Usually, we attend classes in the morning before training or return to campus for a night class. On Thursdays or Fridays, we travel to races all over the East Coast and compete throughout the weekend. Our season starts in November and ends in the beginning of April.

Q: What is the most challenging part about being on the Alpine Ski Team here at SLU?

The most challenging part about being on the ski team is the time management that it requires. We travel for training six days a week and have a full course schedule. Days are long and busy, but the commitment is well worth it!

Q: Lastly, what is your favorite part about it all?

My favorite part of the ski team is being able to have people who know and share the love of ski racing. It is a supportive and competitive environment. I love that I can still ski and compete while being at school, and I wouldn’t have it any other way!

(Photos: Alexx Nawrocki)

.