16 Things Taught Best by an Older Brother

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. Law U chapter.

Any girl who has grown up with an older brother knows that some things just can’t be taught better by anyone else. They may tease us endlessly, but we will always remember the things they teach us.

Photo creds: Ben Pancoast

1. Big brothers teach you how to keep a secret – from mom, dad, your best friend and even each other

2. They teach you how to be tough – especially in athletics

3. They teach you how to be yourself and be happy about it

4. They teach you how a guy should treat you – and to believe it when they say they will never hesitate to beat a guy up for you

5. They teach you that it’s okay to laugh at yourself – because in reality, they’ll already be laughing

6. They teach you how to be spontaneous

7. And not care what other people think

8. They teach you when to shut up and chill – and when you need to remind them what they taught you

9. They teach you what it means for someone to always have your back – and what it is like when all of their friends are backing you up too

10. They teach you how to be sneaky around mom and dad or any adult for that matter

11. They teach you patience

12. They teach you that they will always be the best critic in your life – because they will never hesitate to say it as it is

13. They teach you how to compete – for the front seat, for your championship or for the last piece of chocolate cake

14. They teach you how to master school – because they have paved the way with almost every teacher and coach

15. They teach you how to follow your dreams – because they followed theirs

16. And they teach you how to love – and trust, because while other guys will come and go, a big brother will always be there

Photo creds: Ben Pancoast