13 East Coast Adventures To Do This Summer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. Law U chapter.

Alexx Nawrocki and Brooke Kelly

Go to a concert on the Maine State Pier – Set right on the water in Portland, Maine, this spot is the perfect place for a summer concert! Enjoy dinner, ice cream, or both in the Old Port before you head over to round out the night.  Not familiar with Portland? Try pizza by the water at Flatbread Pizza or ice cream just down the street at Captain Sam’s.

Credit: Bangor Daily News

Explore Acadia National Park – Whether you choose to Summit Cadillac Mountain, walk along Sand Beach or visit Otter Cliff, the beautiful surroundings will not fail to impress you. Along with these specific sites to visit, the park also has a variety of trails to walk, bike, or run on, making Acadia National Park is a great place to spend any summer day exploring.

Credits: The Boston Globe

Visit Bar Harbor – Not far from Acadia National Park, Bar Harbor is a quaint town with a large variety of small shops and places to eat. Truly a Maine town, this is a great get away from the stresses of day to day life!

Credits: Acadia Magic

Explore the historic places in Portsmouth – Portsmouth, NH is a growing town with lots going on, but is also known it’s historic buildings and landmarks. If you’re unsure where to begin your adventure, consider a visit to Fort Constitution. A beautiful, historical site, the fort is not staffed or documented with tourist information and is a must see in Portsmouth.

Credits: Union Park Press

Enjoy shopping in Freeport – Not only is Freeport filled with a large variety of outlets, it is also the home of the original L.L. Bean stores. Whether you are looking for something specific or just trying to looking around, Freeport is a great area to spend the day. If you are going to be in town overnight, consider attending one of L.L. Bean’s free, outdoor concerts!

Credits: About.com

Take the Ferry to Peak’s Island – The ferry leaves from Portland, Maine and runs multiple times a day. On the island, grab some bikes from the local rental shop and take yourself on a self guided tour around the island! The perimeter is only about 5 miles, but the surroundings are beautiful. If you aren’t in the mood for biking, the road is paved, with minimal traffic, and is a great area for a walk or run. Visit the local ice cream shop before heading back home on the ferry!

Photo creds: Kemp Goldberg

Visit the beautiful New Hampshire beaches – Whether you like to stroll, surf, or bask in the sun, the 20 mile stretch of beaches is a wonderful place to spend any summer day. If your work schedule keeps you from visiting the beach during the day, don’t be discouraged- the sunsets are equally, if not more, satisfying!

Credits: portsmouthNH.com

Visit New Hampshire’s Surf Shops – Whether you’re a true surfer, a beginner, or simply a beach goer, a stop at the local surf shops will be well worth your time! Summer Sessions surf shop is located in Rye, NH, while Cinnamon Rainbows is not far away in Hampton, NH. Both shops offer surf lessons and a wide variety of surf gear, as well as summer apparel, shoes, and fun accessories!

Credit: Hampton Beach Guide

Hike Mt. Washington – The largest mountain on the east coast, Mt. Washington is a great adventure as well as a great bucket list accomplishment. Although there is road access to the top, hiking up is a much more exciting and gratifying experience.

Credit: Mt. Washington Auto Road

Visit Baxter State Park – This state park is another Maine treasure. If you’re feeling ambitious and ready to hike, you will be right at the base of Katahdin, the largest mountain in Maine. If hiking isn’t your definition of an adventure, maybe a trip just down the dirt road to the beautiful, natural waterslides will be!

Boat out to the Isle’s of Shoals – Only a short boat ride from the Portsmouth Harbor, this island is truly amazing. There are boat tours as well as beautiful sights of the many boats anchored offshore in the summer months. On Star Island, enjoy the views and an ice cream cone before your day has to come to close.

Credit: islesofshoals.com

Pick berries at Applecrest Farms – Who doesn’t love to spend their summer days eating fresh berries while they pick a few for later!? Applecrest Farms, located in Hampton Falls, NH, is known for it’s fall apple picking, but they also has great berry picking during the summer months. While you are there, be sure to stop by their store and purchase some local farm products too!

Credit: Seacoast Eat Local

Check out the Farmers Market at Crystal Spring Farm – There’s no better way to begin the weekend than to be surrounded with fresh produce and local goods! Whether you chose to bike, run, or drive there, the farmer’s market in Brunswick, Maine, will be a worthwhile part of your day. Along with the seasonal fruits and vegetables, be sure to visit the Wild Flours bakery stand to experience their fresh muffins and glazed donuts!

Photo creds: Harvard University