This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at STCU chapter.

After the week we Katie’s have had, we all need some self care! Spas can be spendy, but you can get a lot of the same treatments done in your home. Any time is the best time to pamper yourself! So put on your slippers, get out your fluffiest towels, and choose a treatment (or two, or three…) from the list below. Here are some ways to create your own DIY home spa and keep you looking and feeling your best from head to toe.

Begin by creating a calm and relaxing environment. Set up books, journals, Netflix or music to ease your mind. Use some of your favorite scented candles or if they make you nervous, try using an oil diffuser. Essential oils are organic compounds extracted from plants with different healing properties; here are some natural remedies:

Anxiety: Lavender, Frankincense

Depression: Orange, Geranium

Migraines: Peppermint, Marjoram, Lavender

Cold/Sore throat: Lemon, Tea Tree

Insomnia: Lavender, Vetiver

Muscle pain: Peppermint, Lavender

Feed your body! Water is essential for the proper circulation of nutrients in the body. Water serves at the body’s transportation system, and when we are dehydrated things just can’t get around as well. Try spicing the water up with some of your favorite fruits! Here are some fruits and what they directly help with:

Lemon and cucumber rejuvenates skin and helps detox your body.

Oranges helps boost your immune system and flushes toxins.

Grapefruit helps improve digestion, lower cholesterol, aids in weight loss, and is high in antioxidants.

Watermelon flushes toxins, fights inflammation, improves blood flow, and boosts the immune system.

Blueberries, strawberries and raspberries flush toxins, are rich in antioxidants and help fight cancer.

Mint can ease stomach aches, fights depression, and helps your digestion.

Cinnamon strengthens your metabolism, aids digestion, and improves brain function.

Now that you have set the mood and have a beverage in hand, it’s time to de-stress in the kitchen and get in the tub! Bath bombs have been getting more and more popular. Heres how to create your own!

Bath bombs

½ cup baking soda

¼ cup citric acid

¼ cup epsom salt Mix in bowl.

Different bowl

1 ¼ tsp coconut oil

1 tsp water

1 tsp lavender

Combine both mixtures

Divide into three bowls and add 3 drops of your favorite food coloring to each.

Mix well. Put it into a rubber mold. Add glitter for some sparkle. Pack in the mold. Let it sit overnight. And there you are!

Not into baths? Try a body scrub!

Peppermint Body Scrup

1 cup sugar 1/4 cup coconut oil 5-8 drops peppermint essential oil (or whatever scent you like) 2 drops red food coloring 1 1/2 pint canning jar

In a heat-safe bowl, microwave coconut oil for approximately 20 seconds, until melted.

In a mixing bowl, combine sugar and coconut oil together until thoroughly mixed.

Add the food coloring, mixing after each drop. Repeat until you achieve the desired hue.

Add essential oils and mix.

Pack the scrub into a clean canning jar.

Always remember to treat yourself in a healthy way! Remember this is only the beginning of the academic year, don’t allow a week like this set your mood for the rest of the year! A spa day is great if you have time, but some of us Katie’s just can’t squeeze it in. Check out my next article about DIY natural beauty products you can make once and use to pamper yourself everyday for a month!

I'm a small Hapa with big goals, on this journey called life, living in a place where the wind hurts my face & learning to become a professional people watcher. Peace and Love -Franceska Moua
Andrea Duarte-Alonso is a grad from Saint Catherine University where she received her bachelor's of Art in Political Science, Women's Studies, and English. She founded HC STCU in order to include voices that are hardly ever represented in media. Andrea is a storyteller, writer, and a political enthusiast. Her areas of interest lie in writing (check her website storiesfromunheardvoices.com that was created for her community), traveling, and fighting for social justice issues.