This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at STCU chapter.

Our life is like a ticking clock; our seconds, minutes, and hours are going by and everything is standing “still”. And who can’t forget YOLO (you only live once)? We are not getting younger folks! Take these college summers seriously, by adding some spark into your daily routine in life. A summer is all about making memories, wouldn’t you say? Here are five worthy things to do this summer, or any summer at all.  

1. Read 

Take yourself to the library, not to study, but to choose a book! After nine months or so of having to look over mandatory readings, it is time we give our mind a break. Don’t necessarily take a break from reading, but take time to read something you’ve been looking to place your hands on. Read inspirational autobiographies, romantic novels, or anything that looks appetizing to your eye. During the academic year, we don’t often get to read whatever we’d like as time is limiited. Take this upcoming summer to lay on your bed with a good book in your hands. 

2. Go Outside

Take those sunrays in (wear sunscreen though) and take a huge sniff of summer’s green grass smell. Living in Minnesota can cut our time spent outside due to cold weather. If it’s beautiful outside, take your task outside! You’ll become a lot happier and you’ll find adventurous things to do! Just like the old days, where we didn’t have a care in the world other than blowing bubbles and running in circles for a long period of time. 

Living in Minnesota means that over half of the year it is cold and ruthless. Take time to enjoy what mother nature has to offer. 

3. Work

Work equals money and as college students we need our green dough! The summer is perfect for saving up money, as we’re able to put in more hours or work in an area where we get paid more than the minimum. Having a job allows us to also gain experience during the summer and then we’re able to bring those new learning moments back to school with us. 

4. Volunteer

Give back to your community! Rock those volunteer hours in during the summer, than in the academic year. Face it, you have more time during the summer to be working on good causes that help others and yourself. Why not volunteer with YWCA/YMCA programs? Or tutor at summer school programs? Take a walk and pick up trash! The volunteering possibilities are endless. 

5. Travel

Are you the type of person who is afraid of missing classes throughout the academic year? Summer is the perfect time to go on week long vacations. Travel doesn’t have to be going abroad, it could mean going back home to visit the parents or traveling to a cool destination with the besties. Plus, all fun travel pictures are insta-worthy! Relax your mind and soul by taking a trip that you’ve always been wanting to go on. Take these traveling plants and make them into a reality! It will turn out to definitely be a summer to remember. 

I believe I’m missing many more worthy things to do this summer, but these seemed like the most important for college students. Would you agree or not? If not, what are other worthy summer things to do as a college student? 

Andrea Duarte-Alonso is a grad from Saint Catherine University where she received her bachelor's of Art in Political Science, Women's Studies, and English. She founded HC STCU in order to include voices that are hardly ever represented in media. Andrea is a storyteller, writer, and a political enthusiast. Her areas of interest lie in writing (check her website storiesfromunheardvoices.com that was created for her community), traveling, and fighting for social justice issues.