This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. John's chapter.

Loraina London-Calderon

Position: Co-Correspondent, Editor-In-Chief

Age: 20

Major: Journalism with Spanish minor

Hometown: San Fernando, California

1. What are you most excited about in your new position?

It’s a new step in my life and something I have wanted to get involved with for quite some time. Her Campus is such a unique publication that can easily influence the lives of young women in college everywhere. To be a part of a platform so big is not only going to be interesting, but one of those once in a lifetime experiences.

2. How did you find out about Her Campus and what made you want to get involved?

I became interested in Her Campus because of my best friend that actually writes for the NYU chapter now. She brought an article up to me a few years back and I have been obsessed with the publication ever since. I decided I wanted to write for Her Campus because I like the voice they have and I really want to convey what they are saying.

3. Do you have hobbies? What do you like to do in your spare time?

Besides writing I really enjoy dance, so much that at some point I wanted to make a career out of it. I feel it is the best way to express yourself if words just won’t suffice and music makes the entire act all the better.

4. How and when did you start writing?

Writing has been an essential key in my life my entire life; I’ve been keeping journals since I could write and I would like to think I’ve developed as a writer since then. As far as articles and publishing my work go I actually didn’t begin until I was a senior in high school. I have always been very self-conscious about my writing and I hadn’t conquered that fear until then.

5. What is your favorite topic to write about?

LOVE, I love writing about love, which probably sounds extremely cliché, but I feel like it’s such a universal topic. I feel like it is easily relatable which also makes it all the more fun to write about and I’m not exclusive to romantic love. Love too often gets grouped in with romance so that’s the only down fall to the topic.

6. What is something you want to accomplish as a Co-Correspondent?

Our chapter is in the process of rebuilding itself so getting people as involved as possible is a goal I really want to reach. I have faith in my Co and I to do amazing things as well as produce content that will maybe change some people.

Fun Fact: I can put both of my legs behind my head i.e. human pretzel.

Ana Vicéns

Position: Co-Correspondent, Chapter President

Age: 20

Major: Communications

Hometown: Guaynabo, Puerto Rico

I’m mainly looking forward to seeing how this chapter grows! I am excited to be a part of the team that brings Her Campus at St. John’s University back to life. I am super passionate about writing, so having this outlet is a great way to express myself and have my voice be heard and I’m looking forward for our team to feel the same way. Our team is dedicated to making the collegiate life here at SJU a little easier, and a little more self-expressive and that’s what I’m most excited about.

2.  How did you find out about Her Campus and what made you want to get involved?

I think I first found Her Campus on Pinterest early on in high school… and the rest is history. I love Her Campus and I love what it stands for, so when I had the opportunity to get involved and take over a leadership position in our school’s chapter I was ecstatic. I said yes right away, even before I knew what it entailed. I just had to be a part of this publication, not only because it was an awesome online magazine that I have read and depended on (to some degree) for years, but also because it would mean that I would be contributing to the content that high school and college girls would refer to and learn from just like I have for years.

3. Do you have any hobbies? What do you like to do in your spare time?

If Netflix counts, then Netflix. Just kidding, but I do usually spend most of my time either studying or watching Shameless (currently on Season 6). Besides that, I love going to the city with my friends. I also adore taking pictures and curating my social media so I spend a lot of time doing that, as well as visiting museums and finding cute and picture perfect places to eat. Oh, and I enjoy spending time with animals because they calm me.

4. How and when did you start writing?

I first started writing in middle school and at some point someone told me I was good and then I never stopped. I think my passion for writing stems from my love for reading though, a love that was instilled onto me by my mother from a very early age. My writing has evolved greatly over the years thankfully and I have had the opportunity to write a little about everything, which also affected my style and voice. I just really love writing, to the point that I couldn’t see my life without it. That’s why I’m interested in the Editorial side of Communications.

I like writing about everything! I can go from writing a scholarly research paper on the effect of media on body positivity to a critique of New York City museums real quick. I tend to gravitate towards advice and tips, though. Not only do I mean the things I say in the most genuine way, but it’s an easy and natural process for me. Plus, it gives me a sense of purpose! I also love writing about social issues and how to get involved in movements and such.

6. What is something you want to accomplish as Co-Correspondent?

I really want to build a staff team that is confident in what they say and that has a strong bond. That’s my main goal. I don’t want our team members to feel that this is a job. I want them to be comfortable with us and trust that we are here for them no matter what. More than a CC, I want to be their friend. I also want them to feel like they have a voice, a say, and the capability of making a difference, and that they can do this through their writing. This is an amazing opportunity and I just want a team that recognizes and embraces this as much as Loraina and I have.

Fun Fact: I am really bad with fun facts but I’m a certified scuba diver, I don’t know if that’s “fun” enough!

London-Calderon is a Senior at St. John's University and is EIC for the chapter. She spends her time writing, listening to music and working on several unfinished books. When she graduates she plans on going into the workforce and reporting for a publication. She is also an intern at Newsday Media. 
Ana Vicens

St. John's

I am a 20 year old Communications major who followed her dreams and ended up in New York City. I am passionate about writing, traveling, food, and puppies! You can either find me exploring the city on the hunt for the perfect Instagram shot, or cuddled in bed watching Netflix (there's barely ever an in between).