sharon mccutcheon Ru 7if4siHA unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
sharon mccutcheon Ru 7if4siHA unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. John's chapter.

It’s Sunday evening and I am sitting at my desk trying to finish the mountain of HW I did not dare to climb on the weekend. I hear a ping come from my phone, located to my right, and I sneak a peak to see whom the message is from. It’s you again. The guy who sends me good morning/night texts, the guy who never fails to compliment me and raise my self-esteem, the guy who seems to care for my well-being when I’m having a bad day, the guy who is in a relationship with another girl.

Why do you do it? Does it somehow boost your ego to hit up different girls? After all, you know exactly what to say to make it seem friendly enough, yet still cross the line to the point where I feel guilty if I do respond.

On Facebook, you play the part of the perfect boyfriend. You fill her page with endless amounts of “I love you” and “baby, you’re my soul mate”, yet it is on the same social media site that you privately message other girls and call them “babe.” Do you not realize what you are doing to the girl you claim to love? When—not if—she finds out, how will you look into her watery eyes and claim that CHEATING on her was a “mistake”?

Better yet, which one of the girls that you hit up when you’re bored are you going to condemn as the one who ruined your relationship. As if it was her fault you messaged her in the first place. Who will you speak of so nastily, that your girl will have no other choice but to hate with the same passion you can no longer demonstrate when you are with her. Who?

Lets make one thing clear…you don’t love her like you claim you do, and in a way, you don’t even love yourself. It’s time for you to either be the guy who she thinks you are or set her free to be with someone she deserves.

As for me, the next time your message lights up my phone screen all I will do is shake my head and continue doing what I was doing. Because sweetheart, I know I’m not the problem. The problem is you think you will get away with it. The problem is your self-inflated ego. The problem is you.

Stephani, AKA Evie, is a sophomore at St. John's University, New York and plans to double major in Legal Studies and Sociology. She is originally from Los Angeles, California, and deeply misses In-N-Out and lounging on the beach during those hot summer days. When not obsessively reading the latest stories on Wattpad, Evie enjoys drinking coffee, advocating for Feminism, and going on spontaneous trips to the City.You can follow Evie’s SnapChat @LittleRed_05
Contributor Account