This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. John's chapter.

Mitt Romney took to the podium at The University of Utah earlier on the afternoon of March 3, 2016 to speak on his opinions about Donald Trump and his errors. Do not be fooled by the topic and endorsements flying around the media. This speech was nothing of the endorsing kind unless you want to see it as an anti-endorsement. 

Romney did not hold back the insults and bringing up policies that Donald has never adjusted or elaborated on. He brought up Donald’s statement to allow ISIS to just take over Assad. It was during this portion of his speech that he said that Donald has talked about how smart he is. Romney with another opinion said “Donald trump is very very not smart”. In Romney’s words he called ISIS a major terrorist group and that it is. To allow for a terrorist group to take over a country shows that his education in foreign policy is not as advanced as it should be. This is a serious concept to focus on considering the role of the president is to be the Commander in Chief of the Armed Forces. Foreign policy should be a top priority to be educated in and understand the best way to handle a situation based on historical facts and evidence not off a personal opinion or chance. A lot of Trump’s opinions and ideas are indeed on the “reckless and extreme” side of the spectrum for political agendas that is undeniable, but what everyone needs to pay attention to is what idea is going to be the one that works rather than might work.

Romney expounded this belief that Trump is some economic savior for our nation. “His bankruptcies have crushed small businesses and the men and women who worked for them. He inherited his business, he didn’t create it. And what ever happened to Trump Airlines… Trump University…Trump Magazine… Trump Vodka…Trump Steaks, and Trump Mortgage? A business genius he is not”. He has had multiple failures and attempts to try and create a facade of success that he is built upon. There is no denying that Trump is well off, but how well off would America be if we also suffered the same amount of failures as some of Trump’s other ideas under his guidance?

Near the closing statements of his speech Romney proclaimed that Trump is a phony and a fraud as well as “Trump [being] as useless as a degree from Trump University”. After commenting on his petty attacks to individuals both running against him in the race and outside. As well as the creation of scapegoats through minorities (Muslim and Mexican immigrants), the applauding of physical attacks onto protesters and reporters and the fabrication of the first amendment to mean something other than the original tenses.  

This speech draws attention to how Romney see’s this election going. He is seeing the polls that are in favor of Trump even besides his derogatory remarks about races and individuals. In the opening of his speech his referenced Reagan’s speech in 2002 making it clear that he wasn’t calling himself equal to Reagan and his influence, but showing that America has two options and this is another time for choosing. 

Some say that who is Romney to even think that he has the creditably to speak on Trumps faults when he had lost twice and even spoke in praise of Trump back in 2012 when he was participating in the presidential election against Obama. 

I suppose it comes down to letting the people choose the nominee, but at what cost?

“America has greatness ahead. This is a time for choosing”. – Mitt Romney

Carissa is majoring in Mass Communications and has an idea to pursue a double major in Environmental Studies and a minor in Business all while advocating for animal rights and sustainable living!
Contributor Account