andrew neel z55CR d0ayg unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
andrew neel z55CR d0ayg unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

3 Tips I Wish I Knew before Studying Abroad

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. John's chapter.

As I am currently studying abroad in Europe, 5 weeks in Rome, 5 in Seville, Spain and 5 in Paris. Here are some tips I wish I knew before I left:

1. Study up on key words/phrases in your host country. I knew I was taking Italian level 1 abroad so I wasn’t too worried, I took French in high school so Paris is fine, but I’ve never taken Spanish. Only knowing basic words like “hola” and “gracias.” I was completely shocked when I arrived in Seville and only came across 3 people who spoke English. It’s rough. No one in my close friend group is fluent in Spanish so we have to rely on Google translate and guessing A LOT. There have been too many times where I’ve walked into a restaurant and the entire menu is in Spanish and I either look for a word I know or will have the waiter suggest something for me.

2. This might be hard to imagine but your cell phone won’t work. Finding free wifi is harder then you think. So make sure before you leave you plan out what your options are. Are you going to get an international phone plan? (Which can get very pricey) or maybe get a SIM card in Europe or some companies offer wifi hotspots that you can rent for around 60 dollars a month.

3. Don’t get me wrong I’m so happy I decided to study abroad but it’s expensive. So budget your trip and talk to your parents about how much you think you’re going to spend. I’m sure you’re going to want to visit other countries and shop till you drop. So make sure you think about transportation fees, Airbnbs & hostel costs & food!

19 year old student at St. John's University, majoring in Public Relations minoring in Business and Fashion Studies. Traveler. Shopaholic. Foodie.
Contributor Account