This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St Edward's chapter.

You could call me a music festival regular. I have been to the last three years of Austin City Limits, the last two years of Euphoria fest at Carson Creek Ranch, one year of Day for Night, and my fair share of concerts. Here are some tips before you gear up and head out for ACL this weekend!

Part of going to music festivals is getting through security, and if you carry a backpack with you everywhere like me, then you’re going to have to stand in the longer line. To make this whole sweaty process a little bit faster and more painless, it helps if you avoid packing certain things.

SUNSCREEN, BUG SPRAY, & OTHER AEROSOLS. Coat yourself in sunblock and bug spray before you leave the house. These are items that can be easily used as weapons, so security is likely to take them from you. I’ve had my sunscreen taken from me before, and when you paid $6-8 for the can, it puts a slight damper on the afternoon.

CIGARETTES & LIGHTERS. If you need to bring your cigarettes with you into a festival, make sure they are unopened and still wrapped in plastic. Cigarette containers are a common way to smuggle things into the festival, so security will want to see that unbroken seal. I’ve never had a lighter taken from me before so you should be fine, but maybe stick a spare in your sock if you’d rather not risk it. And sorry to say vaporizers and e-cigarettes are not allowed into ACL festival grounds.

BEVERAGES & WATER BOTTLES. They will not, I repeat WILL NOT allow you to take plastic water bottles, coolers, beer, or any other types of concessions in with you. They probably won’t take your cliff bar out of your bag, but don’t bother with refreshments. Check the festival map for water filling stations and bring an EMPTY reusable water bottle. OR, for the experienced festival-goer, bring a camelback and keep your hands free for dancing!

Music festivals are a great time, but there are always risks to consider. Festivals like ACL are full of tourists and, as a result, pickpockets. And anywhere that you mix large crowds with heat and alcohol, you’re going to encounter some sloppiness. Here are some ways to stay safe and smart while you’re partying it up!

HYDRATE, HYDRATE, HYDRATE. Okay guys, this is one that I really can’t stress enough. If you are drinking alcohol at a festival YOU NEED TO DRINK WATER AND LOTS OF IT. I have seen people collapse many times from dehydration. Heck, I even had a young girl collapse into my arms waiting for DJ Mustard to start at ACL 2016! MEDICAL FACT: you are already dehydrated before you feel thirsty. If you are pre-gaming a festival AND drinking while you’re there AND standing out all day in the blazing hot sun—you NEED to be monitoring your water intake. Drink before you feel thirsty, drink to cool off, and don’t skimp on water in order to avoid using a public bathroom. Porta potties are gross, but so is heat stroke.

THE FANNY PACK. I don’t care that your dad wore them to all the PTA events–FANNY PACKS ARE COOL. I typically carry a backpack, but there is always the possibility that a sneaky pickpocket can snatch something behind your back while you’re having a good time. Fanny packs are the answer! Your hands are free and everything you need is right where you can see it.

THE LANYARD. If you are the type of person who loses things, consider buying a phone case that comes with a loop for a lanyard. This way you can wear your phone around your neck and still tuck it into your waistband or front pocket (or fanny pack!).

THE FESTIVAL OUTFIT. Here is my go-to summer festival outfit for the ladies. High-Waisted Shorts X Swimsuit Top X Fanny Pack. The swimsuit top is comfy and shows a little skin, while the high-waisted shorts and fanny pack keep your tummy covered in case you’re self-conscious. It keeps you cool and comfortable, your belongings safe and sound, and if it rains, you’re probably still gucci (as long as you wore waterproof make-up!).

BRING A ZIPLOCK FOR YOUR PHONE. There is always the possibility of a surprise change in weather—or even just a random guy who thinks it’s fun to throw water around in the crowd. At Day for Night last year, the temperature dropped probably 15 degrees in 30 minutes and then it immediately started pouring rain. When things go down, you’re not going to want your phone to pay the price.

COSTUMES. For some festivals, like Euphoria fest or Something Wicked, costumes are a big part of the fun—and for good reason. They’re eye-catching and can start some hilarious conversations. I’ve seen girls wearing nothing but ribbons and guys wearing full pirate costumes—and vice-versa—so the possibilities are virtually endless. This year, for example, my boyfriend and I are going to Something Wicked as Rick and Morty!

This year, please be safe, everyone. Print out a copy of the festival map in advance and make sure you know the locations of the water-filling stations and medical tents. Set up ACL cashless so that you don’t have to carry valuables—but remember your ID! As for me, I have to go get dressed and head out to ACL myself! See you at Zilker, party people!

My name is Amelia, but I go by Lia. I am a Psychology Major with a Spanish Minor. I care about issues of race, gender, and economic equality. But I also have more light-hearted interests like cooking, live music events, and animals.
...