This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St Edward's chapter.

Marvin Hughes is a sophomore at St. Edward’s University. He is majoring in Psychology with a minor in German.

Before you came to Austin, you were living in Japan. Can you give us a brief timeline of where you have lived up until now?

Well, I was born in Weiskirchen, Germany. Then I moved to North Carolina. After that I moved back to Germany in the first grade. Then I moved to El Paso in the fourth grade. Then I was in Hawaii in 5th grade, and then back to El Paso for 6th and 7th. After El Paso I moved to Killeen, TX. In my last 2 years of high school I was in Okinawa, Japan. Now I’m here in Austin, TX.

Was it hard moving around a lot?

When I was younger it was a lot easier because I realized I was never going to see those people again. When I was older it got harder, though. I found out it was harder to keep in touch. I think the hardest move was when I moved to Japan. I made really good friends in Killeen and I didn’t want to leave them.

You are not only part of St. Edward’s cheer team, but you are also a cheer captain. What do you like most about cheering?

I like that cheering is a good excuse to get people motivated during games. There’s so many interesting things you can do stunt-wise or flipping-wise that is not seen a lot.

What is your favorite cheer move?

My favorite jump is called a hurdler. My favorite stunt is a lib-arabesque twist cradle.

That sounds difficult. Is cheering difficult to learn?

I was taught the basics in high school. Since I was the only boy on the team it was pretty easy to learn how to do. I was also really invested in it so I wanted to learn more.

What is your biggest accomplishment to date?

Being able to travel and see the world, if not my brows.

What is your favorite cheer memory?

Going to Texas State this past summer for cheer camp and experiencing a whole bunch of other teams working towards the same goals and sweating like a maniac.

Favorite spot on campus?

The couch in Doyle.

What are you most passionate about?

I am most passionate about working towards having a successful life in Seattle, Washington with my trusty sidekick cat in a sea of potatoes. P.S. I’m crazy about potatoes

How do you keep your eyebrows so fleeky?

Casual plucking and filling in when necessary, thanks to Youtube.

How do you think people perceive you?

I think I look mean at first. I have a very straight face. People think I’m more unapproachable than I really am.

What do you want people to know about you?

I am a true glee fan at heart, no matter what the haters say.

Are you single?

Do sharks live in water?

If you see Marvin on campus, don’t be afraid to say hi!

SEU '18 Content Producer for Topper Radio Host of Don't Get Me Started Local cat lady Breakfast food enthusiast
...