This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St Edward's chapter.

Meet one of our Longhorn neighbors, Ellise Perry. She is a junior at the University of Texas who also happens to have a cleft palate. Learn more about Ellise, how she grew up with a cleft palate, and how she has used her experiences to brighten the lives of others!

Name: Ellise Perry

Age: 21

Major: Communication Sciences and Disorders – Speech Language Pathology

Hometown: Austin, Texas

Organizations: Texas Lassos

At what age did you realize that you have a cleft palate?

I think it’s something that I always knew, I never questioned being different from society, and there wasn’t a great epiphany or moment that I can remember. My mom taught me what it was called and explained things to me as I grew up, but I think I saw it the same as having a freckle, it made me who I was and even from an early age it was just part of the person in the mirror I saw every day. I can only really remember being sensitive to it around 9 years old. Even then, I really have never known what it was like to not have my smile. 

Were you ever treated differently by your peers?

Honestly, this is a tough question. Yes and no. I was more hyper aware of curious comments or even questions from peers from age 10-14 when I was pretty sensitive and wanted to fit in. I always thought that it was the only thing people noticed about me. I think overall, the few bullies I ever had weren’t even big enough to truly remember. Luckily I had great friends, parents and a relationship with the Lord so that I never questioned my belonging. 

If so, how did you react to the treatment?

I had my tear-filled moments, sometimes someone would say something that just struck that one nerve in me and I’d be a sobbing mess. I remember always being pretty in touch with the positives though, and I didn’t ever get down for too long. I also became more loving towards other individuals with differences and was considerate of how I talked to them, knowing I too had been stranded by others words at times.   

What are some challenges of your diagnosis?

Nothing really, besides the majority of my childhood being filled with some pretty tough surgeries and infections. I’ve always loved the journey, and even more so today when it only brings joy into my life.

What are some positives?

I love people in ways I know were God given to me. One thing I am very capable of is seeing someone for their soul and nothing else. I have loved sharing my story and realizing I’m so lucky, and wouldn’t change anything for the world.

What was your experience with Camp Amigo like?

Cliche, but it was life changing. No words had to be spoken and the commonality between myself and the campers was enough to make instant connections. They’re soul connections, it’s like I’ve known all of them my whole life and they’re an extent of my family. I loved pouring into little kiddos and reminding them how wonderful life can be, and that there is an end to the mean kids and bullies. It’s a weekend getaway for the kids to be reminded that they aren’t alone and that surgeries and the insecurities are more empowering than they are detrimental. 

What was your best take away from camp?

I’m finally at the age where I know I want to help clefties for the rest of my life. It’s set in stone that it’s an avenue I want to pursue out of college. 

Have you considered going on one of their mission trips?

That is actually the initial reason why I signed up for Camp Amigo. The more you volunteer, the more likely they are to consider your application for a mission. A mission I know will touch my heart in ways I have never experienced. I also know it’s the beginning of something magical that I want to be a part of! 

What advice would you give to kids struggling with having a cleft palate/lip?

Be you. Every ounce of you that you can be. I’m not just talking about wearing the clothes you like, or saying what you think. I’m talking about telling that little voice in your head that everything about yourself is worth displaying. This journey gets easier and somewhere along the way, you’ll find yourself at 18 years old saying your favorite thing about yourself is the scars above your lip. Laugh until tears, share your story, share your scars and your sweet spirit those scars have given you. You’re strong kiddo, you were put on this earth to show people your strength. Use all of that for good, because you’ve got one of the purest hearts out there. Also, remember you have the greatest gift of all, you see the truest of people’s characters right off the bat in the way you treat you. Above that, you are a gift and light in this world. You are different, but you’re the kinda different that radiates joy and makes people smile. Don’t let anyone change that and find that inner strength 

Now for some fun questions! 

Why do you love UT?

I love UT because it’s in my blood to love UT haha. My parents have and always will be die hard longhorn fans. It just fits. 

Why do you love Austin?

Austin is home, it’s where I was born, raised and where my family is. It’s a sense of belonging I can’t explain. 

How do you feel about them Ags?

My best friend is an Aggie so I won’t say anything to save my friendship haha

Favorite Austin taco joint?

La Tapatia (from my old neighborhood, and also the best)

Best place to eat on West Campus?

Austin’s Pizza (?) idk none

Favorite Austin festival?

ACL by far

We love you, Ellise! If you are ever in need of some photos in the Austin area, check out Ellise! Her work is amazing, to say the least! Check out some of her work as well as her website below!

http://elizinazy8.wixsite.com/mysite

https://www.facebook.com/ellisenicolephotography/

Elizabeth Gonzales

St Edward's '18

John Mayer lover, coffee enthusiast, and avid concert goer. Best Buddies and Young Life   Ecclesiastes 3:11  
Hannah Saada

St Edward's '18

Hannah is passionate about gender equity and is a Marketing major at St. Edward's University. She's currently the President for HC at her university. Friends can attest she's a serious Netflix addict and 80s movies are close to her heart. When she's not binge watching a new show, you'll either catch her reading or laughing at terrible puns. [S]he's a righteous dude. Follow Hannah on Instagram at @han_saada