Local ATX Food You’ll Love

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St Edward's chapter.

Eating locally is not only a healthier and more eco friendly way to go, but by eating locally, you are supporting local businesses and you are supporting your community! Here are some local Austin products that we think you should give a try!

Mighty Swell

Hello refreshing! Mighty Swell is a locally made sparking cocktail perfect for a warm Texas day. If you’re 21 and looking for something cool and crisp this is the drink for you! Our favorite is the grapefruit flavor!

Zilks

Looking for a healthy GMO and gluten free snack? Try Zilks! This Austin based company sells our favorite dips: salsa, hummus, and tzatziki! Pair any of their dips with pita bread, pita chips, tortilla chips, or if you want to be healthier, try cucumbers or celery! We personally love their tzatziki with mini bell peppers!

Beanitos

Looking for a healthy chip for your Zilks dip? Look no further! Try Beanitos! Beanitos is a GMO and gluten free alterative snack that comes in many flavors. These chips are made from beans! From cheese puffs to restaurant style tortilla chips, there is an option for everyone! We love the white bean chips with a hint of lime, they are great with salsa!

Sweet Tea Leaf

It’s the south and in the south we love our sweet tea! We love our sweet tea even more when its made by an SEU alum! Try Sweet Tea Leaf, founded by Hilltopper Clayton Christopher (‘95)! We love their classic sweet tea! If you’re not a fan of sweet tea (how idk), they have green tea, fruit tea, and lemonade options! Majority of their drinks are certified organic too!

GoodPop

Ok, yes us Texans do love Steel City Pops, an Alabama based popsicle company (Role Tide?), but we sure do love our Austin sweet treats too! Hook’em and Give ‘em Hill! GoodPop is a local popsicle company! Although they do not have a storefront yet, you can buy these sweet treats at your local grocery stores! We would have to say it’s defiantly a tie between the cold brew pop and strawberry lemonade pop! Both are so yummy that we couldn’t choose!  

What are your favorite Austin based snacks and drinks? Leave them in the comments below! 

Elizabeth Gonzales

St Edward's '18

John Mayer lover, coffee enthusiast, and avid concert goer. Best Buddies and Young Life   Ecclesiastes 3:11  
Hannah Saada

St Edward's '18

Hannah is passionate about gender equity and is a Marketing major at St. Edward's University. She's currently the President for HC at her university. Friends can attest she's a serious Netflix addict and 80s movies are close to her heart. When she's not binge watching a new show, you'll either catch her reading or laughing at terrible puns. [S]he's a righteous dude. Follow Hannah on Instagram at @han_saada