How to Land an Internship in College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St Edward's chapter.

1. Update your Resume 

Towards the end of our high school careers we have to build our first resumes and that version is accepted throughout the first year of university. However, going forward it is standard that high school accomplishments should not be the bulk of your resume. If you’re a sophomore and still getting in the swing of things and haven’t yet or don’t intend on becoming overly active in campus life- don’t fret! Real life experience is highly valued, include any part-time jobs you’ve had, languages you’re fluent in AND if you’ve traveled make sure to include where and what you gained from those experiences (trust me, that gives you an edge). If your college GPA is a 3.5 or above then definitely include it; but if it is lower then consider emitting it and letting your experiences shine. Additionally, if your overall GPA is low, but your major GPA is high then make a point to highlight that. An on campus career center is a great place for more information and an extra pair of eyes to confirm your resume will stand out. 

2. Internships.com is your New BFF

After whipping your resume into shape, then it’s time to upload it onto a job/internship search site such as internships.com. This is a great place to narrow your search to a specific field and finding a suitable time period (semester vs. year-long internship). Prereqs for the position are usually listed as well as how to apply, often it is through the site itself. This gives you a chance to customize a paragraph or two to the hiring representative or submit a cover letter and doing so will only improve your chances of being called in for an interview.  Remember to check the site often, companies may communicate through the inbox rather than email you directly. I learned that lesson when I applied for numerous internships at the start of a summer and saw my inbox was filled with unanswered requests for interviews at the end of August…

3. Social Media Clean Up 

Your web presence is something to be keenly aware of, check your privacy settings. If you’re a public account know that there’s a good possibility your future employer will have someone cyberstalk you. Declutter your social media sites by untagging yourself from anything that could hurt your chances of getting an interview (i.e. blackout pics of you with cats over beers…real classy). 

4. Create and Build a LinkedIn Profile

I’ll admit LinkedIn is daunting, but if you take it one step at a time instead of letting yourself get overwhelmed and leaving your profile with just your name entered, it’ll help you in the long-run. Start off by uploading a picture of yourself. Many students and grads opt for the headshot taken with a nice camera. Sidenote, my profile picture was actually taken with an iPhone, but it was a 6 and Apple’s camera quality is really great nowadays… 

You’ll then want to follow the instructions at the top of your page telling you what to fill out to improve your profile’s strength, don’t try and tackle this in 5 minutes with a redbull in hand. Pace yourself and do a little at a time using a spare moment that comes up here and there.

Then you’ll want to start making connections, other students in your major, people you’ve met networking, etc.  

5. Don’t let a ‘No’ Kill your Confidence

You’re bound to face rejection, I’ve been ghosted by companies more than boys frankly. It’s competitive out there, but remember that failing is better than not trying at all. And perseverance will not steer you astray. I was hired as a Social Media Intern by a local record label this past semester after receiving 6 ‘No’s from other companies. You have too much to offer to stop your search because you weren’t hired at the get-go. If you’re reading this you’re ready. Keep calm and carry on. 

KFC’s signature fried chicken recipe was turned down over 1,000 times. Walt Disney was fired by a newspaper editor because, “he lacked imagination and had no good ideas”… Don’t let rejection convince you to stop trying. You could be the next fried chicken.

Well that wasn’t as inspirational as I thought it would be… 

Hannah Saada

St Edward's '18

Hannah is passionate about gender equity and is a Marketing major at St. Edward's University. She's currently the President for HC at her university. Friends can attest she's a serious Netflix addict and 80s movies are close to her heart. When she's not binge watching a new show, you'll either catch her reading or laughing at terrible puns. [S]he's a righteous dude. Follow Hannah on Instagram at @han_saada