freestocks r oV6smBBYk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
freestocks r oV6smBBYk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Adjusting To Your Best Friend’s New Relationship

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St Edward's chapter.

Life with your best friend is usually pretty swell. From late night food runs with them, to having a default concert buddy, your best friend is just someone who you click with on all levels. You may consider them a person who you can tell anything to without fear of judgement. You’ve probably borrowed so much of their clothes that you forget which clothing items in your closet actually belong to you. It’s likely that you both listen to the same music, like the same movies, eat the same food, and appreciate each other’s quirky humor. 

Life is totally great with this person in your life. The dynamic duo is ready to take on the world, and no one is stopping you two.

But sometimes the unexpected will occur, and sometimes the unexpected will come in the form of a cute person who has stolen the heart of your best pal.

At first, you’re totally ecstatic for them. They’ve found love! Your bff’s happiness is your happiness. But sometimes, as time goes on, you might tend to see more and more of a difference in your once crazy-close relationship with your best friend.

But don’t let life get you down! Here are some ways to better adjust to your best friends new relationship.

1. Be Nice to the Significant Other 

Giving the person, who has seemingly stolen your best friend away from you, the stink eye each time you see them will undoubtedly make things tense between everyone. This new person did no stealing away from you, they have simply taken interest in your super cool best friend, and want to spend more time with her. You should understand that, right? You probably think just as highly about your bff as this person does. If you make an effort to get to know the new significant other, you’ll probably soon be their friend too!

2. Understand that your bff’s time is now divided between people – and be okay with that!

When you call up your friend to go to a random movie like you usually would and they say they can’t because they’re with their SO, it can be a real bummer. When this happens three times in a row, it can be exceptionally irritating. If you expect your friend to be available at all times, that’s unrealistic. Make sure that you mentally prepare yourself to have your last minute plans rejected by your friend more often than not, because they may have already made plans with their SO. Making plans with her ahead of time will ensure that you get your needed quality time. 

3. Make New Friends

Just because your best pal has found a person to spend a lot of time with doesn’t mean you can’t! Form stronger bonds with your other friends by doing the things you would do with your bff, or make new friends to spend time with. Better yet, get in the dating game yourself if you feel like it, because double dates can be pretty fun!

4. Join Organizations and Pick Up Hobbies

Fill up your downtime by joining clubs on campus or finding some new hobbies. When you find yourself going to GroupX yoga on Tuesdays and Thursdays, you’ll find that you’re busying yourself in a good way, when otherwise you’d be sitting on your butt moping about how your friend is always busy. You can be occupied too!

Most importantly, remember that your friend doesn’t love you any less! The chances are that you two will still have your strong dynamic duo bond in the long run.

Alexa Boone

St Edward's

I'm one of the two campus correspondents for St. Edward's University! I am a sophomore Communication major with a focus on PR and Advertising, and I love writing. I am a senior staff member on Topper Radio where I host a radio show and manage the staff blog. In the future I hope to pursue a career in the music industry doing PR for a quality music label/music representation or icon. Living in Austin has allowed me to grow in the presence of great venues, artists, and festivals. I'm also an RA for LeMans hall, and in my free time I love going to shows, hanging out at coffee shops, and doing a variety of spontaneous activities.