nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

5 Apps to Help De-stress During Finals Week

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St Edward's chapter.

With finals just around the corning and the stress of finals heating up, self-care is essential. While it is ideal to find time to take a yoga class or go for a nature walk to destress, it is undeniable that sometimes, as schedules get hectic, it becomes increasingly more difficult to do so. Here are some mobile apps that will help you cope with the stress of finals without having to leave your study space.

1. Buddhify ($4.99, iOS and Android)

My personal favorite on this list, Buddhify offers several oral guided mediations for whatever category you feel best suits you in that moment. One of the nice things about Buddhify is that while the meditations are only about 5-6 minutes long, they are all distinctly different. There are meditations for going to sleep, waking up, feeling stressed, and work breaks. If you are looking for something a little more general, the “Just Meditation” categories are a good place to start. Buddhify is a great app for those who are looking to get started in mindful meditation but have busy schedules.

2. Sleep Cycle ($1, iOS and Android)

Although it is a lot easier said than done, getting enough sleep is at the heart of self -care. This app analyzes your sleep patterns and selects the lightest moment of your sleep cycle to wake you up at the most optimal time within the half-hour window you define. Sleep cycle is designed to not only make waking up easier, but also to help you become accountable for how much sleep you are realistically getting per night, which is inarguably one of the most challenging things to do as a college student studying for finals.

3. Dots (Free, iOS and Android)

Even though this game is simple and has no real end goal, playing Dots provides a mindless escape for anyone to enjoy. The game consists of a grid of colored dots, and the objective is to connect as many of the like-colors as possible- that’s it. There are both timed and turn limited options to keep you from playing the game for hours on end, but with a paid unlimited mode, connecting and clearing dots in square formations was never so calming, making it perfect for a short and sweet well-deserved study break.

4. Calm, (Free, iOS and Android)

Like Buddify, Calm has a range of guided oral meditations that can last anywhere from 2-20 minutes. It allows to personalize your goal whether it be to reduce stress, increase happiness, or improve focus. Complemented by vivid nature scenes within the app, Calm also offers exercises and meditations that allow you to practice your deep breathing and improve your quality of sleep, which can be invaluable to you as you experience varying levels of stress and anxiety throughout finals week.

5. Pacifica (Free, iOS and Android)

Like Breath2Relax, Pacifica lets you rate and track your mood over time. For students looking for more short term remedies to survive finals week, this app also provides you with guided deep breathing and muscle relaxation exercises. If you are more interested in long term improvement for managing your anxiety, Pacifica offers features in which you can try daily antianxiety experiments and personalize your health goals.

Hopefully, these apps will help you remain grounded and calm throughout the stress of finals. Happy studying and good luck! 

Lesley Pettit

St Edward's

Hailing from the land of Breaking Bad and green chile, I'm originally from Albuquerque, New Mexico and I'm currently a freshman Digital Media Management major at St. Edward's University. In my free time, I'm usually going to concerts, finding new restaurants to check out, singing, or playing piano. I am an 80s movie enthusiast, an avid tea drinker, and a lover of Bernese Mountain Dogs.
...