This Week We Love: New Music

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. Andrews chapter.

By Imogen Thom

With the freedom to broadcast pretty much anything on STAR radio it can be the ideal place to pick up new music, and I often find myself tuning in and hearing songs for the very first time. Therefore, as a student radio station it is the ideal source to find out what music is worth a listen.

These days the internet is full of blogs and websites advising the latest ‘big thing’ in terms of the music industry, making it fractionally easier to keep up with the ever changing musical preferences of the latest generation. A personal favourite of mine is The Guardians new band of the day series, which acts as a great enlightener for what to listen to, as Paul Lester often reviews unsigned and undiscovered artists. It is always useful knowing a few new names to impress your friends with and occasionally gaining the satisfaction of pre-empting new bands successes when they climb into the mainstream music world.

A band I personally would tip for big things in 2014 is Lucius. Lucius is a five piece indie-pop group from Brooklyn New York, who are currently making waves across the pond. Described by The New York Times as ‘the next Feist’ the gentle acoustic vocals and backdrop of the steady bass drum offer a welcome break to the numerous manufactured pop records currently dominating the charts.