This Week We Love: Freya’s DIY Facemasks

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. Andrews chapter.

By Freya Liddell 

According to your calendar spring has arrived…but you don’t see it anywhere. You have just been reminded about that forgotten deadline for next week and you are transported back to weeks before when your past self said: ‘I’ve got time’ and ‘that’s future [insert name]’s problem’. Your purse is looking depressingly empty after that post spring break shop at Tesco where all those mini eggs seemed a necessity.

In my experience there is nothing better to beat the blues than have your own spa day/afternoon/hour/ten minutes depending on the severity of your condition and your time allowances

Here are some tips to relax and forget the stresses that seem to be imploding on your life:

1.      Take a bath/shower.

Whether you are a shower or bath person (I know that some people are very opinionated about this issue) having a nice hot bath or shower can be just the thing to calm your nerves.

2.      Use a face mask.

Having your face turned into a rock and not being able to make facial expressions may not seem to be a good way to ease up but it can be good to let your face rejuvenate and soak in all those vitamins and minerals the face mask eagerly promises. This ten minutes of solitude can also be a good way to take your mind off your impending doom and relax into philosophical thoughts.

If your budget won’t allow a cheeky shop at Superdrug then why not try making your own?

5 minute yogurt revitalizer: 1 teaspoon of plain yogurt, the juice from ¼ of a slice of orange, a little of the pulp, 1 teaspoon aloe. Mix together and leave on your face for around five minutes.

10 minute student saviour: 1 banana, 1 tablespoon honey. Simply mix well, apply the paste, leave for 10 minutes and rinse with warm water.

20 minute mayonnaise miraculous: Simply spread mayonnaise over your face gently and wait for around 20 minutes. Finally wipe it off and rinse your face. Simples.

30 minute detox: 1 ripe avocado, 1 egg white, 1 tablespoon lemon juice. Mix ingredients together, apply to face, leave for 30 minutes and rinse with warm water.