This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. Andrews chapter.

If you are anything like the average university student, life is pretty stressful to put it mildly. Between essay deadlines, stacks of articles, normal coursework and the brave-hearted attempt to carry on an actual social life, our lives can become quickly overwhelmed. 

I’ve found that maintaining a sense of humor usually helps, and nothing does that better than watching a good ol’ sitcom. They are short and sweet, laced with jokes and relatable characters that often have some aspect of their lives in disarray. 

Now here are my five favorite shows that I watch to unwind and relieve some of the daily pressures. 

1. Parks and Recreation (2009 – 2015) 

This is one of the my absolute favorite shows, and I frequently binge watch entire seasons when possible. It is lighthearted and inspirational, an interesting mix for a sitcom. This is one of the few shows that always perks me up – Leslie Knope, played by the luminescent Amy Poehler, is one of the most hardworking people I’ve ever seen but manages to stay charming and beautifully realistic. Complete with a cast of several diverse well rounded female characters, it chronicles the story of Ms. Knope and the rest of her Parks and Recreation department employees in Pawnee, Indiana. 

2. The Office (US; 2005 – 2013)

The show, which was based on a series of the same name set in the UK, is a strange one but oddly endearing. The characters work at an office for Dunder Mifflin paper company in Pennsylvania, headed by their boss, Michael Scott. Scott, played by the hilarious Steve Carrell, is a bit of a walking disaster. He’s racist, sexist, homophobic and yet still manages to charm the pants off of the audience (albeit at rare occasions) – this might have something to do with Carrell’s performance… Some people prefer the original version, which was written and stars Ricky Gervais, another comic legend. Either way, this show will make you forget your worries and will somehow make you care what happens at the seemingly boring paper company. 

3. The Mindy Project (2012 -) 

Mindy Kaling writes, stars in and produces this program, which is now a Hulu exclusive. It follows the life of Mindy Lahiri, a gynecologist practicing in New York. She has a killer apartment, an amazing job and interesting co-workers – the only thing is her love life is an absolute mess. I love this show – as a South Indian woman who is currently studying to be a doctor, it was amazingly refreshing to see someone who looked like me. She is neurotic, funny and unabashedly herself – Mindy Lahiri is all I want to be. That being said, the show is witty and full of amazing one-liners and fabulous outfits.This show will always hold a special place in my heart. 

4. Bob’s Burgers (2011 -) 

I have to confess that I only recently discovered this and I haven’t fully caught up yet – I’m not even past the first season, to be honest. Nevertheless, there is something so beautifully endearing about this strange show. It follows Bob and his family – a wife, two daughters, and a son – as they just navigate through life. The show is centered around the family owned business, a burger joint (hence the name.) My favorite character, a sentiment shared by the majority of the internet, is Tina, the weird and absolutely charming daughter who is sexually aware of herself (a trait never given to young female characters, unlike their male counterparts) and yet is so kind and just normal. 

5. Friends (1994 – 2004) 

This is a classic show – there are still TV channels that play frequent marathons of the program. The show follows a group of six friends in New York – they are all in their early to mid 20s when the show begins and it follows them over the course of 10 years. It’s funny and so utterly relatable, from the iconic theme song that somehow pinpoints all of the areas that our own lives are going to hell to the messy lives of the characters themselves. I grew up watching this show and something tells me I’ll be watching it when I’m well into adulthood. 

Meena Nayagam

St. Andrews

I am an American medical student at the University of St Andrews, Scotland. I have been an avid writer for several years, focusing mainly on creative writing. But I hope to be more involved in our university's culture, particularly by bringing interesting information to all of our students!
Evan Grogan

Holy Cross

Evan Grogan is a senior at the College of the Holy Cross who is studying abroad for the year at the University of St Andrews. She is an English and Art History double major and eventually hopes to attend graduate school for journalism and write for The New York Times. When Evan is not busy with school and writing for both Holy Cross' newspaper and Her Campus, she loves to read; go for runs; and spend time with her friends. She is obsessed with the color navy, rainbow sprinkles, and anything involving glitter.