This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. Andrews chapter.

So, guys, exam season is almost upon us – the season of staying up late at night, memorizing notes on a screen, cracking open those huge textbooks you have barely glanced at all semester, and leaving a huge stack of highlights on your desk. What fun! So I thought I’d share a rundown of my go-to revision tips, to help everyone survive this oncoming month.

1. Start revision early 

I know starting revision early is a tried and true rule when it comes to revision, but there are many reasons why this works. Revising early leaves you with plenty of time to rearrange your schedule if certain topics prove to be more difficult than anticipated, or if a new study tactic doesn’t work out. Getting an early start also gives you more downtime in the middle of revision week so you don’t end up a zombie. 

Speaking of schedules, making some sort of revision plan will definitely make studying easier, as you’ll know for sure what topics you need to tackle, which helps minimise stress. 

2. Take short breaks

I usually go with ten minutes every hour when revising (aside from occasional lapses into procrastination – everyone has them). Taking frequent but short breaks during revision allows you to get out of your head and into a more relaxed mindset for a while. When you get back to your notes, it’ll be with a fresh perspective! Plus, the prospect of those short breaks provides energy during those revision lumps. Maintaining a steady exercise routine is also extremely helpful, as well as regular mealtimes. 

3. Don’t just read your notes 

It’s something to everyone brings up when it comes to revision, but just memorizing information through reading doesn’t cut it (although it is a common staple of the season). Try making summary notes or working with a different medium like brainstorming or mind-maps – switching up study techniques makes for easy memorization. Writing things down gives you more time to think and analyse the material. 

4. Change Your Environment 

Always avoid studying on your bed – that way madness lies. Studying properly at a desk or the library will help you stay focused on your material. When you’re stuck on memorization, studying in unique places sometimes helps the information stick in your brain. Take it from someone who spent some time memorizing note cards at the bottom of a stairwell. 

5. Do practice papers – or at least read them 

Practice papers can be intimidating, but doing some practice questions, even by just making simple outlines, can be a lifesaving study technique. You will become familiar with the type of questions that will be on the exams. There’s nothing more frightening than looking at an exam paper and realizing you have no idea how to approach any of the topics. Practicing past paper questions helps with that. Plus doing more of them can make it seem routine to the point where you’re not as stressed!

Good luck!

Jenny Yau

St. Andrews

I'm Jenny Yau, 19 and from Hong Kong. Reading, writing poetry and watching tv are my main obsessions. I am sometimes mistaken for a hermit, but I'm friendly once you get to know me :p
Evan Grogan

Holy Cross

Evan Grogan is a senior at the College of the Holy Cross who is studying abroad for the year at the University of St Andrews. She is an English and Art History double major and eventually hopes to attend graduate school for journalism and write for The New York Times. When Evan is not busy with school and writing for both Holy Cross' newspaper and Her Campus, she loves to read; go for runs; and spend time with her friends. She is obsessed with the color navy, rainbow sprinkles, and anything involving glitter.