Spring Break Throwback: Barcelona

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. Andrews chapter.

Having a blast in Barcelona: throwback to that time I was in Barcelona.

Spring break seems such a long time ago. Back to a blissful time of ignoring all approaching deadlines…

Barcelona is the one of the coolest city. No, in fact it’s one of the hottest! It’s boiling. Seriously, my translucent English skin could not deal. It’s a city filled with a vibrant culture, food, wine, heat – a perfect cocktail for spring break.

Here are some fun things to do if you are in town:

1. The park – inspired by English gardens (hence the spelling of park) is sprawled at the top of Barcelona and has an incredible view over Barcelona and the glistening Mediterranean. The UNESCO world heritage site only started ticketing last year – if you want to go in to the central area (with the other famous lizard) make sure that you book tickets in advance to save money and to avoid snaking queues.

2. Modernisme architecture

The weird and wacky style of GaudÍ and other modernism architects isn’t limited to the park – examples of this style are evident all over town, so check them out.

3. Enjoy the local cuisine

Tapas. Paella. Delicious fresh sea-food. Paella. Be sure to visit the markets, especially the Mercat de Sant Josep/La Boqueria just off the bustling ‘La Rambla’.

4. And the drink

Sangria. Sangria. Sangria.

Spain is commonly associated with sangria; however you might not realise that the region of Catalunya is famous for its production of cava. Surrounding the city are a plethora of vineyards producing vast quantities of Cava – with identical production methods to those used for French Champagne. It’s impossible to tell the difference. If “champagning” is your thing, not out of the question as a St Andrews student, you can enjoy a tour around the vinyards.

5. Churches

Spain is a catholic country, and is naturally well endowed with impressive churches. This includes la cathedral and the beautiful La sangria familia.

6. Nightlife

Although rather late, the nightlife is insane. Party the night away.

7. Donde esta la playa?

This only phrase I know in Spanish from a brief sojourn into the language in year nine. Ohh – wait – la playa es muy guapa. (Ok, I’ll stop now). Perfect for promenading, and enjoying a sangria with the sunset views is a magnificent way to spend an evening. If you have more time, head out to the pretty sea side towns around thirty minutes train ride outside the city.

8. Museums

Barcelona, like any major city, is bursting with museums and galleries. Take your pick. The most famous is probably the museum of Picasso; it distinctively displays the separate epochs Picasso’s body of work.

9. Getting lost/wandering around

The vibrant La Ramba is a must see. However, there are lots other neighbourhood districts also worth visiting. Spend time wondering around the city – it’s pretty navigable and there are loads of cool and quirky districts, including the totally hipster la Ribera.  

Freya Liddell

St. Andrews

3rd Year History student at St Andrews