Natasha Meyer’s Guide to Christmas Decorations

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. Andrews chapter.

How to Guide to Decorating for Christmas as a Student

With Christmas rapidly approaching, now is a great time to put off studying for exams and spend time preparing your dorm room or flat for the holiday season! Because our time at St. Andrews is dwindling, I have prepared for you a How to Guide for decorating your accommodation!

Happy Holidays!

1. Get a tree. This does not mean you need to have a full sized living Christmas tree! Depending on the size of the space you are decorating and your budget, there are so many possibilities for you to still have a tree. Get creative. Make a tree outline on an empty wall or use items that you have lying around!
  2. Light it Up.  No room is complete without hanging lights! Hang them on your fridge, your bed, your walls, or your ceiling. If your room can be seen from space, you have done your job.

Tasha’s Tip: If you live in a campus hall, make sure you check your building’s policy on lights or hanging things on the wall. It would suck to spend an hour hanging your lights, only to find out you have to take them down. If you cannot hang lights, use leftover glass bottles to create a festive light display.

3. Don’t be shy with the wrapping paper. Wrap your door, empty boxes, or your entire flat. Wrapping paper is a great and inexpensive way to foster the Christmas spirit! (Sorry environment.)
  4. Make your home smell like Christmas. Use a candle, air freshener, or potpourri to make your room smell like candy canes or gingerbread, whatever reminds you of the holidays.
  5. The Importance of the Little Things. Hang stockings or tinsel, cut out snowflakes out of recycled paper, or have Christmas music playing 24/7. Websites, like Pinterest, have a variety of great DIY project ideas that would add the perfect final touch to any student’s housing accommodations!
Freya Liddell

St. Andrews

3rd Year History student at St Andrews